Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schecter basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steriogenesis, Jan 3, 2003.

1. I'm thinking about trying out a schecter bass (Studio 5 or Elite 5)....(Left-Handed Models) Can anybody give me any thoughts or information about the quality/sound/reliability of schecter basses or even those specific models?

Or any left handed five string basses in that price range....($550-$750).

Thank You

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a 004 Elite coming in a week or so hopefully. I'll let you know what I think.

3. I haven't played any Schecter basses, but a few months ago I bought one of their PT Elite guitars* and this thing gets high marks for quality. If their basses are anything like their guitars, and I've played about 4 other guitars made by them, I wouldn't worry at all. On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give most of their stuff an 8.

Mike
    * Telecaster body with Gibson style humbuckers. The flamed maple top finish on this thing is a 10!

4. funny you should ask, i just tried a stiletto elite 4 today out of curiosity. well, i wasn't too impressed. it sounds sterile. you can get the nasal honk of a fender jazz but none of the balls. and for some reason the E string felt really floppy, i kept getting fret noise even though the action wasn't all that low. overall i'd say a MIM jazz would be a better buy. but, for all i know, the 5 string version could be a great deal.

it DID look pretty though.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Check it! You're right it is pretty, I just hope it sounds better than DHC described it.

7. I have a early 80's schecter P-bass.
    the finish is the same formula as early gibson les paul gold tops, so it has the most ugliest finish checking...it even has the greenish film that apears after awile on gold top les paul...well, enough on the finish, it's great quality, P-J pickups, sounds...well like a p-pass...with a little extra booty...well, I know it's not even close to the model your looking at, but I can asure you it's gonna be of the highest quality.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

I havent heard anything bad. I actually have a C-1 that Im pretty happy with and the guitarist in my band has played a 006 elite and he liked it a lot.

But he is a guitarist. ;)

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

i DONT HAVE THE BASS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT I HAVE PLAYED ONE AT GC THE EMG WERE GREAT IN IT. I DO OWN A SCHECTER MODEL T AND I CAN TELL YOU SCHECTER ARE NIT PICKERS WHEN IT COMES TO DETAIL.

10. That's the finish on my guitar. It looks even better in real life.

Mike

OOPPS, the link didn't post through.

11. odie - actually i played a different model from the one you attached. not sure how different it is. of course it's always possible that i played a lemon.

[​IMG]

12. Just as long as the body is constructed well, it looks beautiful, and sounds decent I'm fine.

The EMG HZ and any preamp are ALWAYS upgradable and makes a world of a difference. With the 5-string in a 35" scale, the tightness should be fine, adjustments can be made.

I'm just happy that I found a left handed 5 string. ITS SOOO hard to be left handed, a bass player, and a five string player!

So back to the subject of Schecter...How confident are you all in the construction? Is there anything about the way its made that will cause it to sound bad even with high grade electronics?

(OH YEAH....BTW, IM A HEAVY METAL BASSIST)

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You owe it to yourself to check out the MTD Kingston and Lakland Skyline 55-01 before you buy. They both have better B strings, and IMHO they both sound better too.

14. just got back from guitar center. i was playing every bass there except the ibanezs and fenders:rolleyes:

i played the schec 004 for a bit. it sounded alright. it looks awesome though.

mmm i fell in love with a conklin GT7. awesome.

:D