Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter California Custom IV - hot or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Aug 18, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is a sexy looking Korean Schecter with Jazz outline, 35" scale, alder body and flame top. They're discontinued now but I'm finding the 5 strings on the cheap all over the net.

I've seen a 4 string months back but never tried it out and I've never seen a 5. There are blow outs for these basses going on but they're going to run out sooner or later. Before I leap, I'd like to get some feedback from some owners out there. Anyone own one? Try them out? anything?

thanks

r

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Perhaps some pics will help?

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    headstock...

4. i personally would not buy a schecter, currently i have a c-4 and the intonation is all out of whack

5. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a 4 for sale in the classified's, but let me tell you, if you like the sound of a modern jazz bass, there is no beating this thing....real EMGS!! Its a steal at the prices I have seen for these used...amazing.

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Storm, I've tried other Schecter basses and guitars and considering the money, I've always thought they had excellent bang for the buck especially for blowouts on discontinued models (hence my inquiry about this Cali Jazz 5). Now I think I've tried either yr C4 or a C4 cousin before. It was basically a C4 but black with abalone trim. A bit glitzy for my taste, normally, but it was quite stinking. I don't think I plugged it in, but I messed around with it and I thought it was an awesome instrument. I've tried other Schecter basses and have really been impressed. Regarding yr intonation problems; have you had a tech check it out? I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I'll make a few tweaks here and there on my axes. However when in doubt, I'll take it to a pro for a proper set up and I usually end up falling in love with my guitar/bass all over again. If you haven't, have yr C4 professionally set up because off hand I'd say you have a pretty damn good bass, don't write her off yet!

Phogchris, I'm currently a G&L man but I'd played several Jazz basses in the past that I almost always upgraded with EMGs and Badass bridges. My ideal would be either a domestic G&L 5 string (err..$$$$!!!) or some sort of Jazz Bass in a 5 string format that had a nice balance of traditional Jazz tone but with a modern edge (output and clarity). Enough slapping room would be nice as well. I’ve considered the KSD 70s IV model. However, these Schecter Cali 5s might be EXACTLY what I'm looking for (though I'd prefer plain black or white finish, but why quibble). The Cali 5 actually has two EMG humbuckers and as you said REAL EMGs. So far, the best 5 string deal I've seen out there for this class of instrument has been the G&L Tribute line. But at $450 or even less, these Schecter Calis are just toooooooooo good to be true. I really want to try one out at least but I may just say the hell with it and take the plunge and buy one online.

I know you have a 4, but have you ever tried a Cali 5?

r