Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Custom vs. Essex SJB-62QMD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xsogol, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Essex

50 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Dean

23 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Schecter

29 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Fender

58 vote(s)
    36.3%
  1. Hey Everyone,

I'm new to TB. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping I can get some insight into:

1. I love the Schecter Stiletto and I really like the Stiletto Custom 4 in natural...I love that it is a bolt-on neck and that the neck is quick while the body is well-balanced. I keep hearing that if you like the Stiletto, you should buy the Studio version...what are the arguements for this?

2. How hard is it to modify the hardware on a Stilletto Custom (the elctronics (pickups, pre-amp), bridge, etc.)? Has anyone here done it?

3. I also like the look of jazz basses and I like the SX SJB-62...given that this is also a lot cheaper than the Stiletto, how does it compare in terms of features/playability? How fast is the neck on one of these? Are they easy to modify?

Thanks for any and all help and/or recommendations in advance!

~XsoGol :bassist:

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The neck on the Schecter is the fastest (this coming from a former Stiletto owner) but I didn't like it. The neck is pencil-thin, and made my left hand sore. Also, the EMG/neck-thru/exotic woods/soapbars thing really isn't my style, I like the tones you get from Stingrays and Jazz Basses better.

I really don't see why you'd want to modify one. I would just go for a more expensive bass. By the time you're done modifying it, the price difference between a Custom and the next thing up will probably be small.

A note about Dean: they're basses are absolutely awful. They're entire company is awful. Everything about them is awful.

SX's are cheap and no harder to modify than your ordinary Jazz Bass. This bass seems a little more logical to modify. I plan to buy an SX Jazz Bass fretless 4 this summer. Still, I'd just go for a less expensive bass.

My favorite basses in what seem to be your price range are the Ibanez SRX-300 (http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX300&color=0), the G&L Tribute L-2000 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511123/), and the Yamaha RBX374 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519038/).

3. Well...if I lean towards the Essex j-bass option, is it possible (and/or a good idea) to add some Duncan pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and would it be possible to add more or have stacked knobs? Are these completely stupid questions?

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    WAITAMINNIT...Not all Deans are awful- I revere my Brian Bromberg B2-5! It plays like a dream, and when I first got it, I did have a small problem- the voltage inverter in the battery compartment gave up the ghost, resulting in a high-pitched scream at about 100db, rendering it unplayable. A quick email to Dean and I got to speak with their electronics guru, who told me how to bypass the V.I., I soldered the circuit, put two 9v's in the control cavity, and the problem was solved. I have long since expected not to have to do some small amount of work to ANY bass I buy, because I'm pretty picky about the playability and the electronics. I would expect to have to do a setup and adjust the pickups on any bass I happen to make my own, regardless of whether it's a $200 SX or a $4000 Alembic. Deans are just fine, the lower-end stuff might need more tweakage than the higher-end stuff, but I would consider any brand of bass, even ones I don't particularly like, if it meant the difference between getting/playing a gig, or not. Don't disparage an entire brand because you've had a bad experience! I don't care for Warwicks much, but I don't diss them. I just know they're not for me. They sound pretty good, but I can do just as good a job with (insert brand-name here)! It's the Indian, not the arrow!

5. You left out the "other" category...unfairly excluding many other brands...

Best bang for your buck...Carvin...hands down...next

6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had a Dean Jeff Berlin that was a very nice bass with a great bridge (a Badass II), good pickups and an extremely fast neck.

7. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really like the Music Man basses, but I played a Standard Fender Jazz at a local G C and it was great sounding old school tone with plenty of low end punch.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Jeff Berlin is a great bass! Don't knock ALL Deans!

9. My two main basses are Deans and I absolutely love them. I've played hundreds of basses, and my two Deans are high quality basses that play and sound like basses costing four times as much. I'm telling ya', my Deans are pure joy to play.

I have a neck-thru 35" scale Edge Pro 5 with 3-band EQ and a brand new Rhapsody HBF fretless. Earlier versions of the Rhapsody had poor pickup placement, but they've corrected that with the new model by positioning it closer to the bridge. I actually bought the fretless at the convention this weekend and used it on my R&B gig Saturday night. I couldn't put it down!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I had the incredible opportunity to attend the Dean Owners (DOA) convention this past weekend in Tampa, and we were given the royal treatment. There was a catered party Friday night, factory tour Saturday, and a jam session Saturday night. We got to meet with Dean Zalinsky and Elliott Rubinson, and several Dean owners even got to jam with them on stage. You can check out all the pictures on the Dean website.

I'm sorry to hear that others have had bad experiences with Dean, but I have found them to be a great company that offers a huge selection of quality guitars and basses at many different price levels.

10. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    [​IMG]
    Yes I know thats a really dark picture, but I wanted to show off my pickguard that I got from Kurt...:p remember it comes with a white one...

Theres my 62QMD - beautiful stuff. Its not that hard to mod, (even though I havn't really done much, its pretty much the same as any jazz bass), and well, I say go for it...

12. Sorry...I didn't mean for this post to exclude bass makes or become a Dean bashing/advocating thread...I actually looked at the Carvins and they look really nice and have lots of options...you learn something new every day.

My question though, is it a good idea to modify either a Schecter Custom or a Essex J (the Essex makes more sense) and, what types of add-ons are logical to throw on either of these instruments.

Please show pics of your modifications too (if possible)! Thanks so much! :bassist:

13. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    have both Deans and Essex basses i can say this.

euro deans are a lot better then most SX basses, but also cost at least double.

Ive been playing a Euro Dean q4 for almost 5 years now as a main bass, ive owned a Edge 4 standard, and a Dean q-6, both were great basses for the price.

Ive had my Essex 70s jazz nock off for a while now, its a great bass, but ive knoticed the parts arent up to par, but for the price awsome quality.

Both are good choices IMO, i gig them both ( the essex now has SD antiquity pups and a 2 band SD pre amp though )

14. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    i don't know if it would be THE best bang for the buck, but i think yamaha deserves a place on this list...