Schecter Diamond 004 weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clubdude, Aug 26, 2009.

1. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to find out how much the Schecter Diamond 004 weighs? I've heard both light and heavy, from 7 to 9lbs.
    I've got a chance to pick one up at a right price, but I haven't been able to find one to play. Reading reviews will only get you so far. I've played several Schecters, but not a Diamond series, so I know the differences in playability, but not the weight and feel (balance).

Also, if anyone has one (or has had one) and also an Ibanez Soundgear, can you compare the weight and overall feel?

Note: I did the search first, and found the thread comparing the two, but no mention of weight. (I have a left shoulder that needs surgery, so just a couple of lbs. means a lot).

FYI, I bought one of the new Ibanez SR300M's with the Maple fretboard. That thing really plays great (unless you hate slim necks). Plays better than their rosewood counterparts. I had narrowed it down to the Schecter and the SR300M for a backup bass, because I wanted a maple fretboard. But those "contoured" Ibanez EXF pickups stink. The 1st and 4th strings on mine are not nearly as loud as the middle two, and I've read several places where folks complain about inconsistent individual string volume with EXF's. My neck radius measures 14" (supposed to be 12") and the pickup radius is 12". Ibanez won't do anything about it, so I'm thinking of sending it back. But I love the way it plays, and the weight. I don't think that sinking another $200+ in pickups is smart for a $300 bass. But I will say it's as much bass as you can buy for 300 bucks, imho.

I do love the way the black 004 looks with the maple neck. I had a 4001 Rick 'back in the day', and I've beat myself up for ever having sold it.

Thanks a lot!

2. nashvillebassma

nashvillebassma

Mar 20, 2009
    Toledo,Oh
    I went from a 305dx to diamond stilleto 5 a couple years ago and the schecter is a little bit heavier, but not much.

3. JJT247

JJT247

Jan 24, 2009
    My main bass is a shecter 004 and I love it. I first played and ibanez soundgear mikro and the weight was not a problem at all for me.

4. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Thanks Nashvillebassma,
    I played a couple of Schecter models at GC, but not the Diamond 004. I heard that model was a little lighter than the most of the others, but that's second hand info.
    cd

5. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

JJT247,
    Please tell me how much you love your 004. lol
    If I could have played one before I bought, that's what I probably would have gotten.

My bride likes the looks of it best, and suggested I get it while I still had the SR300. BUT, I only have 15 days or so to send the Ibanez back for a refund (which I've never done in my life). Sucks to be GAS poor. :)

6. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Anyone put one of these on a scale? The weight is a deal-maker/deal-breaker.

JJT247, Is your's balanced, and not neck-heavy?

I just sold a Fender Stu Hamm because it was neck-heavy. Even though it weighed 9.6 lbs, if felt much heavier. I prefer to stay in 7-8 lb range, with balance.

Thanks again,
    cd

7. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    A Schecter 004 is 9 pounds. They are not neck heavy. Very comfortable.

8. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    Not as nice as the Stargazer 5 I'm selling though... ;-)

9. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Nine pounds, eh? That's a couple of lbs heavier than the Ibby.

hummmm What to do. What to do. Pickups for the SR300 or buy the 004 used, for about the price of a new SR300.
    Wish I could have both and try them together, but time is running out.

Decisions Decisions.
    Thanks, guys.

10. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Schecter finally called me back, and said the Diamond 004's weighed between 8 and 9 pounds. Each is a little different in weight. but they all fall within the 8-9lbs. parameter.

That coincides with what I've heard, and what Noonan768 said.

The 004 I was considering was sold tonight, so it looks like I will be shopping for pickups for my SR300M. At least I know what I got, and what it will take to fix it. It plays great, so if you see an Ibanez SR300M pick it up and give it a test ride. Not a bad player at all, with the Maple fretboard. Has good tone, but mine has uneven volume from string to string. Maybe I got a dud.

Thanks for the help, everyone.:cool:

11. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I like my 004. However I will gripe about its stock blo-chunk brand pick ups. I think the new stargazer will sound more alive with its EMG's.
    The 004 would have been perfect if it had come stock with good pups and EQ.
    I have the blond version and I like it enough to keep it, but would love a Stargazer.

12. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    The Stargazer comes with EMGHz MM & J pick ups. They do have the active eq and it makes a differnece. I've heard a lot of bad talk about the Schecter pick ups.. I've never really gave them a try. i love the EMGHzs.. I think the Stargazer also has a better look than the 004.

And have I mentioned I have one for sale.. for the low low price of $400 shipped???

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021