1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Diamond P 5 weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Hi I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this bass, but I've heard that they can range in weight from 10 pounds to 13 pounds!
    :eek:
    Can anyone attest to this fact? I actually found a nice used deal on one locally, but the seller said his was between 12 and 13 pounds. :(

I have a dealer who said he has a great relationship with Schecter, and he said he will make sure mine would be closer to the 10 pound range. I told him if I get the bass and it's even 8 ounces over 10 pounds, it's getting returned.

I am using this for gigging purposes, and anything close to 11 pounds, and by the end of the night (3 one hour+ sets) my shoulder is KILLING me. I already gig my SR5 which is 10 pounds, and I use a 4" wide strap.

Any help?

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Anyone?

3. Zzounds has shipping weight at 15 pounds, so 12-13ish?

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Wow! Damn that is gonna be a deal breaker for me. I'm so disapointed.

5. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I don't have a Diamond P5, but my Diamond P4 weighs 10 pounds.

So yeah, it's on the heavy side.

6. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    My friend has one and it feels much heavier than a fender p. Yikes 12lbs.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I wish I could find some one local to zip 10990 or 07631. That way I could try one out.

8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Call some Guitar Centers. They're Schecter dealers.

9. LumberjackTBird

LumberjackTBird

Aug 5, 2012
    Kansas
    man up and take it. My T-bird pro 5 weighs as much as a car. Ok, amazon says shipping weight is 22 lbs. Get a pad that slips over the strap, it helps some.

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Listen, I don't NEED to man up for ANY bass. I'm 50 years old, and don't want to make gigging a pain (PUN intended).

11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    They have some Schecters in stock, but none stock this particular model.

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    So I just got a call from my dealer, and he said that since he has such a close relationship with Schecter, that they will do me a favor. They will go through all the P5s and send me the lightest one.

Do you think this is really going to happen?

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Well I called Schecter directly and spoke with a tech. He said not only did my dealer talk to him, but that he will go and weigh 2 of their more than 20 P5's, and call me right back. 10.4 and 10.2 pounds each! He said that when I place my order that he will personally find me the lightest one of the lot.

How's THAT for Customer Service.

14. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    That is awesome customer service!

15. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Well I got a used Diamond P from a local guy, and it's a pretty amazing bass for $300. I know I got a great deal, and it weighs in at 10.4 pounds. Not too bad, and it balances very nicely on the strap as well.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Right behind you and I agree 100%. Heavy basses will wear an old man out regardless of the strap.

17. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Well I had a chance to play this bass with a guitarist and drummer last night at a small jam. I have to say I was very impressed with how this bass really cut through the mix, but still had that Pbass thump. The controls are very sensitive, and it took me a few minutes to get the right combo. Pretty much half way on the tone, and 3/4 on the neck pup. Then I would adjust the bridge pup for the right amount of sizzle.

Next will be a live gig, but that won't be until October. So far I'm very impressed.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Well last nights gig was my first test drive in a live gig situation. The tone I was able to get was both full and sonically tight. Nice and round with just the right sizzle. I play wireless, so I was able to walk out front in the medium sized club. I was very happy with what I heard.

Plus I realized even though it weighs as much as my SR5, it was actually easier on my back and shoulder. I think it must balance better on my strap. I actually played the P5 most of the night, and as soon as I strapped on the SR5 my shoulder started to ache.

I have some decisions to make. I'll never sell my SR5, but it may have been delegated to backup duty.

19. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Do you have a good strap? Always help with 10+ pounds bass. With a Neotech, my basses feel 3 or 4 pounds lighter than they really are.

20. I'm glad you're enjoying this bass; I've been curious about them myself and am glad for the information you've provided regarding your experiences.