1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Diamond P pick-ups/electronics help please?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StevenMikel, Jul 12, 2012.

1. StevenMikel

StevenMikel

Feb 24, 2011
    Greenfield In
    I have a Schecter Diamond P bass and I'm considering a pick-up swap and changing some of the electronics.I've done several searches about the stock pups and wiring as well as possible changes and I'm more confused than I was before I started.I don't want a vintage tone but,I want the/a typical p-bass sound,I mostly play classic and current rock and blues.
    The electronics/wiring changes I'm thinking about besides pup swap are;all new pots,(vol,tone,blend)insteadof(vol,vol,tone),wiring the bridge pup in paralell.
    What are your thoughts or suggestions?Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i actually just had my diamond-p rewired and new pickups put in. i swapped the stock pickups to an emg phz/35hz set with a vol/vol//coil-tap/tone and have been quite pleased with the results. now, emgs might not be your thing, but i feel the hzs to be fairly well rounded tone wise. i think the phz has a pretty typical p-bass tone imo. the 35hz with the coil tap (single coil, parallel and series) adds some good articulation and growl. to my ears it goes
    single coil - no hum, sound like a jazz pickup although not the most amount of clarity
    series - the loudest setting, a boost in volume and low mids, but theres a bit of a loss in the highs.
    parallel - combined with the p pickup, this is my favorite setting. it has the most amount of clarity and it has a good balance of highs/mids/lows.

all of this IMO/IME. YMMV.

3. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    The P bass sound is close to typical if you either lower the pickups just about as far as they will go or roll off the volume AND reduce the gain input on your amp. There is a growl you wont eliminate though, but it is something i like. Also change the bridge coil split to the north coil. You can try changing the the bridge to parallel as well. I set mine this way for a while and found the tone similar to single coil just fatter. I just don't like the bridge pickup and have been unable to remedy it to my liking. You should try these first if you haven't already.

No need to swap pots unless they are defective, don't operate smoothly, you need higher value to extend brightness or want different function like you specified (vol,tone,blend).

4. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    The EMG P pickup is standard Fender sized right? How did you accommodate the gap created by the change in P pickup size since that stock Schecter pickup is oversized. Did you change out the pickguard, use a surround or leave the gap?

5. StevenMikel

StevenMikel

Feb 24, 2011
    Greenfield In
    Thanks,I"ve lowered the P pick-up quite a bit and,after a little tinkering have got realy close to the sound I want.I don't like the siund of the bridge pick-up either.I'll try changing the coil split to the north coil first then,I'll try the bridge pup in parallel.My pots sound a little scratchy and adjustments in tone and volume aren't very noticable,especially with the tone knob.
    How did you like the sound of the bridge pup in parallel compared to the north coil coilsplit?

6. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    I liked the change to parallel but not enough to keep it that way. It wasn't really useful solo for me. The sound was similar to north coil single, but not quite as good IMO, particularly mixed in with the neck pickup. I play with the neck at 100% volume (now that i buried the pickup) and north single coil to taste depending on the song, usually between 20-60%. The amount of shaping is pretty wide to me. Occasionally I will blend in the bridge in series.

I decided if I was going to ever play primarily off the bridge I'd leave it series. I've found 100% soloed I really don't like it. Highs and mids are too harsh. But roll in the neck at 20% volume and it counteracts those negatives some and it's more useable.

My tone pot went scratchy during the first couple of months of ownership. I cleaned it with contact cleaner and solved that problem. I agree the tone control sweep range is an issue. I posted a question a little while back for the same thing. It was suggested to try a different type. I thought I'd experiment with different value tone caps first. I have them but just haven't taken the opportunity yet.

Tearing into the electronics a couple times I've gone and grounded the shielding paint in the cavities. Schecter didn't bother to do that. When I did that it eliminated any bothersome hum and also noticed a reduction in what I would refer to as stray highs, probably just nuances of hum and feedback of sorts I guess. Next I will ground the pickup poles because I get a lot of pops and clicks when touching the poles which is particularly annoying with these in your face pickups. I bought some copper tape to do this but it was the kind without conductive adhesive. Oops, try again.

7. StevenMikel

StevenMikel

Feb 24, 2011
    Greenfield In
    Thanks for your help and tips.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the emgs are a tad shorter (bass to treble side) but not enough to create a huge gap in the pickguard route, so i just left the little bit of gap thats there. i did need to drill a couple new holes for the height adjustment screws, as using the old ones the pickup would bind up on the screws.

9. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Resurrecting to add some comments... I've been experimenting with the amp EQ quite a bit since this thread. In addition to the changes I mentioned, if I roll off the high-mids just a little the tone leans much closer to a traditional P. I never realized just how edgy the high-mids are on this bass.

I've been playing direct for such a long stretch I haven't really gotten intimate with this bass and my amp.

10. I'm glad you posted this. It means there is hope for my P5! I have had some noise issues and figured Schecter had not shielded the cavity. I opened it up and saw the conductive paint and thought "crap! What can I do? It is already shielded!" I just assumed it was grounded without checking. How did you ground dry paint?

11. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    These... http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Fiberboards/Terminal-Lug-6-Locking-Hub or something of the sort, some wire and a couple screws. I like these lugs from mojotone because they are so small and cheap.

You'll need to ground two points in the cavity. The main area underneath the controls and the area of the neck pickup are a single contiguously painted area; screw one lug somewhere in that area. Then put one in the area where the bridge pickup is because it is separated from the rest. I dusted off and used my old multimeter to test continuity to be sure. Im assuming the P5 is similar to the P4. I then wired both lugs back back to a volume pot casing.