1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Diamond series 8 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 5, 2010.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just checked one out at Joe Riff's guitars [or music] in middletown CT, (formery matt's music).
    P0505100006.

not a bad 8-string, especially for 6 bills. Very little fingerstyle vibe unfortunately, but with a pick and a sans amp set up for some grit it was pretty convincing. It also seemed to like having the blend a bit towards the bridge pup and a bit of boost on its mid control. Not the best 3 band active eq out there, but none of them are at that price range (IMHO). Overall i was able to get a great cheap trick and king's X vibe out of it with little effort. Wish i had the cash, but I'm kinda holding out for a 12-string anyway....:smug:

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    P0505100000.

P0505100005.

3. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Oooo! Me likey. :hyper:

I'm a Schecter fan with my Elite 5er.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have to say korean basses have impressed the heck out of me. this is not a high ender by any means but it does what it's supposed to. The best vibe seems to be the picked with a bit of grit or a palm muted picking with some mild distortion to mimic bass and guitar together. would fill out a hard rock trio very nice.

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I am probably wrong, but my understanding of 8-string basses in general is that they are best played with a pick? Is that incorrect?

6. They had one of those at Drum City Guitarland a while back and I didn't like it much at all. I wanted to, but just didn't. the HZs don't give enough definition or clarity to make it as awesome as it can be. Perhaps with a new set of pickups or better (passive) electronics it'd be better but as it stands I didn't love the way it sounded. Fun to play thought & yeah... Playing it with a pick definitely brought out more of the 8 string-ed-ness than plunking it. :D

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    8 and 12 string basses usually are. but not always. as long as the bass has the big strings closer to the floor than the octave ones you can play it fingerstyle as well w/o much problem. A warmouth 8 i had was actually really cool played fingerstyle. FWIW the gal from clatter plays the heck out of a 12 and her fours with artificial nails and gets a heck of a sound as well.

8. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    FWIW, that's quite surprising to me. My HZ pickups to me seem very clear.

9. Ziggy31

Ziggy31

Feb 9, 2010
    I have actually never used a pick on my Schecter Ocho Octive Bass, although I do, at times, on my 4 string:D. A pick does not give me the growl like using the fingers.