Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schecter diamond series elite 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wushuguy, Jan 9, 2002.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I just started playing bass, and chose this schecter as my first guitar. I did a search here to find out what people thought of it. It appears peoples opinions are split on this guitar. Many people thought that this guitar is a piece of junk, while many who own it say that it is an excellent guitar. I personally love it, which is all that matters to me. But I'm interested in finding out why the people who don't like guitar feel the way they do. What makes this such a bad guitar?

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hi wushuguy, Welcome to Talkbass.

I haven't had the opportunity to play the Diamond Series so I can't speak from first hand experience, but I do know the model you are talking about (The bass is quite a piece of "Eye Candy" with that quilted top and S-Tek bridge). I don't think the negative feedback is as much that it's a bad bass, I think it's more of there's better out there in the same general price range. You're talking roughly $500/$600 dollars right? Most manufacturers have to cut corners somewhere to produce a bass in this price range. If it's got an active EQ circut, that's probably the first area that was skimped on to save money. The pickups are probably EMG Hi-Zs, which are the budget line. Some like 'em, but most tend to sneer at them (probably because they're comparing them to "real" EMGs).

Now, compare that to, let's say the MTD Kingston, or Heir. Passive bass, no EQ to skimp on, more money to spend on other areas (fret dressing & other fit/finish issues, QC, etc...). I assume Mike Tobias designed the bass himself from the ground up, then contracted overseas to have them built to his exacting specs. To me, that in itself already gives the Kingston an edge over the Schecter.
    The Korean neck-thru Spector is another bass that is most likely very similar to your Schecter, yet may feel, play and sound just a bit better. Why? Beats me, but I've played a few and was pretty impressed. The Ibanez BTB series have received quite a bit of praise, yet everyone dogs their SR series. Again, why? It would seem that the BTB is a better design.

The ESP C-305 I believe, is a similar bass in a similar position as the Schecter. It received a very favorable review in BP magazine. On paper, it seems to have all of the right ingredients. I checked one out at one of the music stores on 48th street in NYC, expecting to be fairly impressed. Nope. Maybe since I've had my Cirrus, I've become a bit pickier, but in either case, the feel did not impress me, nor did the tone. I'd pick the Spector over it in a minute.

As a beginner, I assume you haven't had the opportunity to do a whole lot of comparison shopping, and even if you did, would you know what to look out for anyway? In the end, as long as you're happy with it, and you enjoy playing it... then it was a worth while purchase. There'll be plenty of time to contemplate your next purchase (and there WILL be a next purchase.... there always is...)

Just my 2 cents,

Frank.

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thank you for the reply fgenus. It was very helpful. I really don't know anything about passive or active EQ's or the difference between EMG Hi-Z's or regular EMG's. Is there a good place I can go on the net to find out about these? If there is a big difference in the pickups, would it be a good idea to switch to EMG's, or just wait till I buy a new guitar? Thanks for the help.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You can probably just do a search here at talkbass for the word "EMG" or "passive" (or just surf around in the "PICKUPS" forum to get some more info on it. Once again, I'll emphasize, that if you're happy with the sound and feel of the bass, why worry about it?

BTW, I stopped into my local GC store last night, and there was a new Stiletto Elite 5 string there. I didn't plug it in (there were no patch cords lying around, and most of the salespeople were busy dealing with all the kids wanking in the guitar section). I did pick it up though, and played around with it for a few minutes. My personal impression...

- Overall fit & finish looked pretty good, and it's a classy looking axe. Proof that the quality of the Korean imports is improving.

- I was pleasantly surprised to find the B string seemed fairly tight (is this a 35" scale bass?)

- Personal preference nitpicks: Didn't like the feel of the "glossy finished neck". I like my necks either unfinished or with a satin finish. The neck seemed kinda chuncky to me as well. In contrast, my Cirrus 5 has a flatter neck which I have become accustomed to. Also, the S-tech bridge looks nice from a distance, but close up, it looked kinda cheap to me compared to the ones on the Ibanez BTBs.

Peace,

- Frank.

5. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, the neck is 35". I know what you mean about the neck being thick, but it doesn't really bother me (probably since I don't know how to play yet). I am very happy with the guitar overall, and am sure it will be a great learning guitar.

Jim