Schecter dUg Pinnick 12 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Savage_Dreams, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I don’t really know anything about dUg or his music but I absolutely loved the sound of that bass. That was great!:thumbsup: No chorus?

As the octave strings are above the root string does that mean it’s to be played with the fingers then? Does the bridge allow for them to be reversed if the player wishes to do so? I guess then the tuners would need to be rearranged too.

The icing on the cake for me is that Schecter is making it in lefty too.:D I was going to buy a gorgeous white/tort Diamond J fiver a couple of years ago but then they discontinued it.

This is going to the top of my post-shoulder replacement surgery GAS list. Too heavy for now.

How do I link this thread to the lefty club thread? The word needs to be spread.:)

Berme likes this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I own one. 20 pounds is about double what it is.
    Dean Specs — 12-String Bass Encyclopedia

deff likes this.
  3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I owned one that was substantial but nowhere near 20 lbs. A friend owns a newer one and if anything it is much lighter than I expected

B-Mac likes this.
  4. B-Mac

?
    In the link specs as 10.5 lbs.
    I was responding to @ElectricBass72 unfounded claim of 20 lbs.
    They’ve been selling it for just over twenty years now which to me is pretty amazing for such a niche instrument.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    deff likes this.
  5. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Yes, I was agreeing with you. My friends new one is super nice and plays great.

B-Mac likes this.
  6. B-Mac

:thumbsup:

7. B-Mac

Some cool dUg P discog links
    Dug Pinnick — 12-String Bass Encyclopedia
    King's X — 12-String Bass Encyclopedia

Heavy Blue likes this.
  8. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    Virginia
    BritFunk likes this.
  9. ChromeTsunami

ChromeTsunami

Aug 7, 2018
    UK
    Serious neck dive, I'm a lot younger than dUg is, but I'd struggle if I had to play this baby for more than 4 tracks live... Anyone have any idea for a strap to counteract neck dive... is there such a thing?

Oh and weight is just under 10lb, I weighed it the other day.

10. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Somehow this slipped past me. I'm wondering if that bridge is a Sung Il like on the Schecter/ESP 8s. If so, I imagine some folks like @Basvarken and @Dadagoboi might be interested to know about it. I couldn't find it on the Sung Il site.

11. Basvarken

Basvarken Commercial User

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Amateur Luthier / Gibson Bass Book
    The bridge set looks exactly the same as the one that Dean uses.
    I used this bridge set too for the first 12-string bass that I built.
    But I must say I'm quite happy with the ETS bridge set that I've been using the last three 12 string basses that I built.

brooks-exb-12-3p-bridge-close-up-1500_orig.jpg

bobunit and BeeTL like this.
  12. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    The ETS looks pretty special for a XII, that's for sure. ;)

13. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    I've got the chance to buy a used USA Hamer B12L locally, priced similar to a new Schecter DP12. I can't try any of them. Which one would you grab?

I will play them with a pick, and I slightly prefer two pickups full on tonewise.

14. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    i personally like the wider string spacing on the dUg compared to the my Hamer, but i know for some the wide necks arent good.

Berme likes this.
  15. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Thank you for chiming in, I was waiting for your opinion.

What about neck dive? Is any of them significantly worse than the other?

Are there more tone options with the Hamer?

Some more info about strengths and weaknesses of each one, please? I'll be very grateful for your answers.

16. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    i dont play the hamer much anymore, but i dont think the neck dive is much different between the two. youll always have more tone options with 2 pickups, but i was never a fan of the pickups in my hamer so im not the right one to answer that for you.

Berme likes this.
  17. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Thank you. I also slightly prefer the tone of the Schecter from the very few clips available. The EMG's of the Hamer sound a bit harsh in the high end, don't they?

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021