1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter DV-4 (GAS! GAS! GAS!!!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rapturebass, Apr 6, 2009.

1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    I love these Schecter dv-4s. anybody have any experience with them? They look like Eb-3s on steroids that don't have the mudbucker. If the word is good then hopefully i can convince my parents to get one this Christmas. :p I have major lust for a mahogany red DV-4!!!!!!!!!1 :hyper:

Site specs:

Construction: Set Neck
    Body: Mahogany
    Neck: 3 pc. Mahogany
    Scale Length: 34"
    Fingerboard: Rosewood
    Frets: 24 Jumbo
    Inlays: Dots
    Binding: Creme (neck, headstock)
    Pickup: EMG HZ 'MM'
    Electronics: Vol/ Active EMG 2-band EQ (w/ selectable frequencies) Bridge: Schecter Custom Top-load or String-through
    Tuners: Schecter
    Hardware: Black Chrome
    Color: See-thru Cherry, Dark Brown Sunburst

pics/links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCHECTER-DE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCHECTER-DE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

2. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    It's a Devil-Ray!

3. oh yeah,i saw that one on the schecter site.imo,it looks like a gibson grabber fused with a stingray.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Maple neck?

If not, :spit:

If so, :D

EDIT: Includes a free Line6 Floor Bass POD?! Wow, what a deal.

5. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Ah yes the DV-4. Lots of talk about them but I haven't seen any in anybody's hands. I would love it even more if they put a J in the bridge.

I really wish Schecter would stop using HZs and use regular EMGs (or a different manufacturer altogether). I saw a CS Riot with them so they can do it.

How does this compare with the Ibanez ATK?

6. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Here is the Damien DV-4:

http://www.billsmusiconline.com/damiendv4.html

Go to the website: http://www.schecterguitars.com to look up stats. It's the same thing as the Devil-Ray (i guess that is its new nickname) but with a different pickguard, a different bridge, and a basswood body and bolt-on maple neck compared to the Devil-Ray's set mahogany neck on mahogany body. Go to schecter's website to get the whole gist of it.

7. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    BTW, the Bass Floor Pod is a deal The Music Farm is using to move it. This isn't a universal thing.

8. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    I wish you guys would stop going off about HZs. They aren't the best pickups, but they aren't cheap chinese pickups, either. They are pretty good sounding pickups, actually, if you just EQ enough to your tastes. Besides, if they put genuine EMGs in these, it would probably be like $ 1000 instead of $ 670. With Schecters, you pay for the quality, and their quality is pretty darn high. Besdes, if you really hate the sound that much just don't one or just screw with effects.

9. i've got my shechter hellraiser 5 string and the quality is brilliant, i have no real complaints about the HZ's, however i am looking to slap some proper EMG's in there soon (or something similar)

10. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    some minor bumpage

:bag:

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

$700 for this Schecter or $700 for a used MIA Gibson SG RI or a few more bucks for a 70's EB...... I personally wouldn't be buying the Schecter.

12. i'm kind of eying off a schecter too, what are "jumbo frets"? I'm new to the bass guitar thing, so the subtle bits are a bit hard for me to spot. I didn't notice anything odd about the frets in the store, then read "jumbo" in the specs on the website. What's the purpose of jumbo frets? Are they higher off the fret board, or set deeper into it or what?

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I like it. Wish it had a 5-string option, but that's my normal comment.

I'm a huge Schecter fan. My general outlook is that they're Great bones for an instrument. Depending if you love or hate the EMGhz will determine your preference of it's stock state. Me, I swap out pickups.

I look at it this way... there will be people here that question 'why buy a Schecter with pickups you know you're going to swap out'... my response is another question... 'why do so many people here by 'superior' Fendor basses and swap out the pickups and electronics?"

Think about it, there really is no difference in the approach.

And seeing as how this thread needs some eye-candy...
    Schecter CV-5 Prototype (1 of 10 or less)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Because some of us don't have the money to put in a set of better pickups, for one. I'd love to put in a set of Kent Armstrongs/EMGs/Nordstrands/Bartolinis but right now I don't have the money or the time to put them in. Personally, if I were to pay $700 for a bass I would like it to sound good.

I know they aren't cheap Chinese pickups; they are EMGs and while I like them, I find them to be too honky. I have a good tone coming now because of the way I eq'ed my combo, but even then it sounds too honky.

On the plus side they are aggressive, and I like that.

15. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut

Every tikme i'm in a Schecter thread, you shove that bueatiful bass down my throat. Stop giving me GAS! :spit::spit::spit:

16. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    I don't really know what the difference is. I don't feel a difference in any frets; its probably only something you notice if your a luthier and your doing some precise measuring or such.

17. fridge country

fridge country

Apr 29, 2009
    I posted this on your other thread, but this one seemed newer, so here ya go:

I was down at Schecter HQ today trying out basses, and I played a DV-4 through an Ampeg SVT-VR and an 8x10 cab. The thing was a damn monster. It's got a heavy, aggressive sound that is absolutely huge. I play through the same rig myself (usually with Gibson or Fender guitars), so I had a good reference point for what to expect. I have to say, I loved the powerful tone it delivered. It doesn't seem like the most versatile bass, but what it does, it does extremely well. It has ridiculous low end, while retaining decent articulation. I was particularly impressed with the active pickups, which didn't overdrive the signal nearly as much as other active basses I play regularly (Fender Jaguar, I'm looking at you). This allowed me to crank the amp to around nine with relatively minimal distortion. Try doing that with the Jag, and it sounds like you're using a fuzz box, even with the active EQ off. It's a great feeling guitar, with good balance and an excellent, very slender neck similar to a T-bird or the SG reissue bass. Overall, I was really impressed. It strikes me as an ideal bass for metal, or any other heavy, aggressive music. I want one.

18. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    what do you mean by honky? do you mean too much emphasis on the mids? oh, and bump.