1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Elite 5 with 2 EMG-40TW's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by audienceofone, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Does anyone know if this can be done? I did a lot of searching and found that people have put 2 in different brands, but not a schecter. The EMG website says not to use those pickups with the BTS active preamp that the Elite has in it.

Thoughts?

2. bump - anyone?

3. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    From EMG's site
    So if I read that correctly.
    A) You'd have to install a toggle switch in, and everyone loves switches :cool:
    B) Replace the original preamp system entirely.
    C) Since you'll be using two TW's You could just use the four included volume/tone pots and discard the original preamp. Probably easiest and what I'd recommend.
    BUT, if you read the 40tw wiring diagram it states
    BUT, according to the BTS-V7 page
    So I'm not sure if you can use the two systems together at all. Bottom line-see if an email to EMG would help.

Now, remember, my advice is worth what your paying.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I've read the BTS/BQS installation guide, and if you add a DPDT switch for each pickup before the Blend board, the switching is solved. The blend control in your bass is likely a 250k or 500k dual pot and EMG spec that they like their pups to work into a 25k load, so I'd contact EMG and see if they'll sell you a replacement blend board for active pickups. Solder it all together and you're done.

Or change to a V/V setup, buy and install two 25k pots wired as per the diagram on the bottom of P3 on the BTS/BQS installation guide. Not sure of you can get 25k log pots with a push/pull DPDT switch, but that'd save the extra holes for the selector switches.

5. thanks for the responses, I will definitely take a look. the response I got from EMG (very fast by the way) was this:

Go with a BTC Control.

So it can be done, I will look for the 25 k pots with push/pull DPDT switch

Thanks!!!

6. would these work?
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/3/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Looks good.

As there is a difference in level between the J and CS stages in the TW's, you might like to make this small modification. The diagram will also help with wiring it all. The resistors are 0.25W metal films that you can get at any electronics store for about 5c each. If you have trouble wiring it PM me.

PS: Where are you getting your TW's? I've heard they an be difficult to find, especially if like me you're not US based. I'd love to try some in my Hohner B2V.

Attached Files:

8. I am just GASing for them right now, hopefully sometime after Christmas.
    I am checking here for them:

or here

Thanks for your help!!!!

9. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have 2 45TW's in my bass, along with the BQC control.. lot's of useable sounds, though the single coil mode doesn't really sound like a jazz pickup.. after all, it's still a humbucker..
    I also wired them with 2 DPDT ON/ON switches, if you need any help with wiring you can PM me any time..

10. Great thanks!!!!!!!