1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter/EMG question ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kazan, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    I have a Schecter C-4 bass with EMG active pickups and while I like the tone my amps don't . When I play the low notes both my G-K and my Peavey speakers make some god awfull sounds . The speaker acts like it wants to jump out of the cabinet .
    Any one have a cure ?

2. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    what cabinet set up do you have?

3. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    One is a brand new G-K Backline 110 and the other is an old Peavey .
    My thought is either there is some thing wrong in the wiring or that the Schecter preamp is over powering the amp and it is clipping .
    The Schecter C-4 is something that I just picked up used and have not had time to open it up .

4. I'd suggest turning down the bass and boosting the mids. It could be the bass, but my guess is it's more likely to be the amp settings.

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Also try backing off the preamp gain and boosting the volume.

ALSO check to see that you're using an "Active" input on the amp (or make sure the switch is set to Active if you dont have separate inputs)

6. The EMG's on your C4 are EMG-HZ's which are passive - not active. Your preamp is active. EMG HZs are not really that good and sound like garbage. You may want to go to EMG 40CS/DC etc.

7. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Yea,your bass is probably too high on your bass's preamp,and on your combo. Dial the bass back,boost the mids,and check your volume. If its pushed high that could be causing distortion.

8. Unless his C4 already has active EMGs installed, which it might as he picked it up used....

9. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Be very careful with the bass knob on the onboard preamp; that thing is not friendly to speakers if used improperly. Make sure you're plugged into an "active" input or have the input pad engaged; if it continues, roll off the bass a little bit on either the amp or the bass end.

10. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Keep in mind that this is opinion. And one that few would agree with at that.

11. Exactly. In no way would I say that they sound like "garbage".

HZ's tend to be a bit lower output than active EMG's.

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I love the HZs in my C-4 Elite, and the active 45P/45J in my Cali Custom 5. Both do different ranges of "modern active" sound and are very versatile, punchy, clear, and clean.

The HZs are much lower output though, and are usually alright when run without a pad. The active EMGs can be 'holy crap danger danger loud' (especially on the low B) and usually require the use of an input pad or "active" input.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Must be a peavey without the limiter. Theyre limiters ussually take care of pretty much anything hot signal wise. The speakers on both may not be able to handle the degree of bass your feeding them. So lowering the active bass eq on the bass should help as others have mentioned. In most cases the bass eq on active basses is capable of giving far more then desireable bass output. Instead of cranking it all the way, go for halfway or less and decrease the active treble some instead if needed to get degree of bass content desired if your going for mainly just bassy tone with treble rolled off a lot.

14. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    emg-hz pickups are not that bad and i actually prefer the tone from them over many other brands that are held in high regard

15. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    I want to thank all of you that posted, trying to help me enjoy my Schecter Bass with EMG Hz pickups .

Some of your ideas have helped, but nothing as of yet has stopped it from overdriving the speaker in my Backline 110 amp ( the Peavey amp found a new home ) . Both my Cort headless and my Magnum basses have active pickups and have no problems .

16. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    If the controls on the C4 are like the controls on my Elite 4, the tone controls both boost and cut, so flat is in the middle, and what would be no cut on a passive tone control is actually full boost on that frequency. See if you can feel a little detent in the middle of the control range, and try playing with the tone controls set there.

17. I went through some good 4 years before discovering the subtleties of Schecter's 2 band EQ +EMG HZ. I always played with low and high full on. Now I discovered - and by now I mean like 5 months ago - the "flat is in the middle" thing. Only then I could really appreciate the nice, full, rich tone of those pickups, and the responsive versatility they give. My setting now is pretty much on the low side, BUT with the onboard bass slightly boosted over the middle position, full on neck pup and almost none on the brigdge one. Nice vintage tone...kinda

18. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    As I stated earlier I have tried your suggestion and they helped . Now I have noticed that the longer I play it (even at low volume ) the more it make a clicking sound almost like the sound you would get when you check the polarity of a speaker with a nine volt battery and sometimes it just keeps clicking , a bad capacitor maybe ?

19. Kazan

Kazan

Nov 23, 2005
    Well this is embarrassing, but I thought I should post this incase some one else runs into a similar problem . I changed the battery and all the problems went away . I believe that the on board preamp was clipping .

On like active pickups that just lose volume when the battery goes bad, active preamps seem to develop all sorts of sound problems .

Any one have recommendations for dip switch settings ?

20. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You'll have to try different combinations of the two switch settings. You'll know you've set them right when you hear the tone you're looking for.

TD