Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter fretless ~ Was $459 ~ Now $199

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jun 6, 2002.

1. I just went over to Musiciansfriend and they're bound for the loony bin again. If anyone is looking for a new fretless bass for dirt cheap check this out. M/F is selling (closeout no doubt) a Schecter SB1-FL fretless bass for $199! I've been looking at all M/Fs fretless offerings for the last year, and the last time I looked it was $459. I've never played one, but, how bad could it be? Here it is: www.schecterguitars.com/Dproducts/ I couldn't get the actual page to come up, so when this page loads just click on "Past Models," and look for the SB-1 Bass. Or go to www.musiciansfriend.com and type in "fretless bass" in the search box.

If I didn't have 5 basses, and one of them getting mods in the shop I'd probably jump on this one.

Attack! I command you! :D

Mike J.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Awe Poo! No money, and I really like the SB-1s. They have a neck simmilar to an Ibanez, but are higher quality more consistently. I really dig the mutated SG body, AND they balance well.

3. STOP IT! You're gonna make me buy one! :D

And I ain't not hardly got no bread neither. ;)

It does look like the deal of the year though, doesn't it?

Sigh.
    Mike J.

4. I've played a schecter SB1-FL. This was a week after I bought my carvin fretless. It was nearly $100 less, brand new (carvin was used). It had rounds on it...and it sang. I prolly shoulda just seen if they'd take the carvin as a straight trade...

Hindsight..grrr. And I just bought a bike...no spare cash for a month or so. Doh.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    WOW! Retail on those mofo are 650! And its 199 now...wow indeed.

I had to make it harder Mike, sorry. :D

6. :(

Mike J.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not to mention in a crimson burst they look killer. It's a wine red top, that fades to black on the edges and (I think) back. buttah!

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    only available color is black....
    i was THIS close too... even though im broke i really want a decent cheap fretless.

Hey thanks for the announcement though, greatly appreciated.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Only available in Black. Apparently I got the last one. Bought a set of tapewounds for it.

10. YOU! WHY YOU! You'll burn for this, Brad! :D

Don't tell us how good it sounds, I don't think any of us could bear it. :(

Good luck with it. (Grrr)
    Mike J.

11. Like I said...I've played one. I'd put it smack dab inbetween a chorus of angels, and the Wishevensky (spelling?)

lol.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I thought about that, Mike:D. They told me it was the last one after I ordered it and some strings.

After playing a Conklin GT4 fretless with tapewounds I've been interested in having a fretless setup like that. Can't find tapewounds that would fit on the Elrick and I don't want them on the Legacy.

fred and his MTD Kingston fretless just reinforced the feeling. If it is magical I'll try not to rub it in;)

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You already are. :mad:

;):D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm trying to follow Brads lead, but now on microphones. I'm building up my collection to do some recording of various types of music. Two steals recently at GC:

1. Neumann KMS 105, list $595, street $499, me $299.

2. AKG C4000B, list $848, street $549, me $199.

Both new. So far so good. I also paid $219 for a Shure Beta 87C from Rik's. Not exactly grand theft, but a good price.

15. HIJACK! Munji's hijacking the thread! :D

Wow! I know the AKG you're talking about, and that is an absolute steal, Munji.

Brad, I thought you were kidding at first. M/F are devils though. You have to keep checking them almost everyday for sales that they don't announce.
    I just hope I catch it if they mark down that Dean Rhapsody hollow body. $400 is a decent price, but, if I can get one for $19.95... :D

Best of luck with it.

Mike: " I can't get over it. I can't get over it."
    TBers: " What can't you get over, Mike?"
    Mike: " A wall that's ten feet high."

Mike runs out of room - dogs chasing him :D

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm sure I won't like it. I don't really like anything I own. This must be true.

pd told me so;)

17. I just got this. ;)

Mike J.

18. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's why I bought it... it has kind of an evil SG quality to it. I'll need to grow the goatee back in.

I hope it sounds good.

20. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OKi know i have brought this up before but the body looks sort of like a normal electric guitar body...Just me?