1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Schecter Genesis Bass (Very rare kinda crazy bass!)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by davidjbass, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    Here is the story on this bass. My guitar player likes to dumpster dive. He has found some pretty incredible things. He came across this bass a little over a year ago in a trash can. So he snagged it and sold it to me. I do remember these basses when they came out. I think it was in the late 80's to early 90's. But I am not 100% sure. I tried to look up info on the internet about it but there is very little to be found. Some pics of the guitar version only. So any info help here would be appreciated.

When I got the bass it was in really rough shape. It was dirty. There were stickers all over it.
    The neck hadn't been adjusted. And as you can see by the pics the upper rear body angle was broken off. It basically sat in my music room for almost a year before I was able to get to it and clean it up. So with all that in mind I took some time the other day to clean it, remove the stickers, adjust the neck, oil the fingerboard, lubricate the tuners and give it some TLC. The only thing I could not fix was the broken upper horn of the body. That would involve way too much time and cost for this bass.

After all the clean up work I did I was amazed on how the bass sounded and played. If you can get past the neck dive it's a cool bass. Only looking to get what I put into it.

$100.00 plus $25.00 shipping via FED X ground.

Paypal please.

Attached Files:

2. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    I guess it's a safe assumption that he didn't find the missing wood part? A bit of digging indicates this is part of a line of basses and guitars called G6, which mostly seemed to include some weird Telecaster-looking things. This model seems to be called an Illusion. (think like how Aria balled virtually all of their basses "Pro II" and then slapped some other combination of numbers and letters after it. )

1985 Schecter Genesis G6 Illusion Electric Guitar

(a guy posting on this page claims to actually have designed this instrument)

I wonder if my friend with a 3d printer could reproduce the missing piece, in complete condition these apparently looked like Explorers but with holes.

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The garbage some people sell on TB.....
    :D

Plantbrain likes this.
  4. Ya Really! LOL ;)

5. Awesome thanks for the info.

6. In all seriousness the parts alone are worth $100.00. The tuners, bridge, knobs and back plate are all top notch. And the pickups even though I don't know what kind they are sound fantastic. Just food for thought.

7. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    Oh why not, I'll take it. This is precisely the kind of crazy that I'm into. Shoot me your paypal addy when you can. Thanks.

joeypee likes this.
  8. joeypee

joeypee .....just hackin' it up...

Mar 28, 2011
    s.e. michigan
    Cool piece:thumbsup:

9. Sold.

10. KillerEddie I sure hope you do a NAD for this when you finish it. I've never seen one before and I think it's all kind of retro cool.

11. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    Oh definitely.

My initial plan was to 3d print the piece but I am rethinking that. I actually managed to locate the guy who designed these and have an email in to him asking about what wood and a few other specs. I believe the best course of action is to cut a new wing. I'll likely have to remove the remnant of the old wing so we have a more solid mounting point for the new one. I'm going to assess the paint but it will likely have to be stripped, which is a shame as it seems that it likely had a decent paintjob from the factory. Fortunately the guy I'm going to have help cut and mount the wood runs a body shop so this should be no big deal. I'll make a stencil of the Genesis logo so we an re-apply it. As to color I'm thinking of keeping it the color it is. So we will go back with that. I'll assess the electronics and hardware ot see what can be salvaged but it looks like David did a solid job of restoring them.

There is a silver lining here: the aforementioned neck dive. I assume it's likely due to the broken wing (maybe that's what I need to name this bass), and that's something I asked the guy who designed it, if the dove a lot when in complete condition. If they did, then I may look at a slightly heavier wood for the wing to offset that. We have that opportunity since the wing is broken anyway.

I'm shocked at how little info there is on these, even the guitar version. I love old, rare, weird basses, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I have three Kaman GTX basses, and info on them is scarce but this thing, I mean there is just nothing out there save a few blog posts. What makes it harder is that Schector used "Genesis" to describe the whole line of basses, including P bass clones, as well as guitars like a ele clone they built. I'm hoping this guy can shed some light on all of this for me.

Fretless370 and davidjbass like this.