SOLD Schecter Hellraiser 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by SMG, Dec 25, 2016.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Price:
    $350
    Strings:
    Price Modification, $350 to your door, CONUS.

Schecter Hellraiser 5 in very good (close to new) condition. One of the coolest looking mass market basses. This is a neck through bass with EMG HZ soapbar pickups and actual EMG BTS preamp with the dual mini dip switches to change the mid range frequency. (The EMG HZs along with BTS preamps is a great match, IMHO.) 35" scale with 17mm spacing at the bridge. The Bass has some surface scratches from someone playing with it with a pick, but these are only seen if one get s within a few inches of the body. Black Cherry color. All original. Sorry, I do not have a case for it. $375 gets this baby to your door.

My only reason for selling this bass, as I really like it a lot, is the 17mm string spacing. I have just gotten to used to 19mm spaced 5 string basses.

Front.jpg body.JPG headstock.JPG body back.JPG EMG Preamp.JPG

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Phud and deputy42 like this.
  2. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Is this bass MIA?

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Made in South Korea, but as stated on back, "Set Up To Play in USA"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Ellery likes this.
  4. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Is this bass still available?

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Yes, it is.

6. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Dang, I let my eyes get ahead of my brain on this one... I thought it was the Extreme 5. Sorry to necro-post :(

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    That's cool....I have made similar mistakes :)

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Since I have been asked, and I wasn't sure, I just looked up the difference between this bass and the current "Hellraiser 5 Extreme". This bass, the original Hellraiser 5 has EMG Hz (passive) pickups with (what is know known as) an EMG BTS System HZ preamp, while the Extreme has EMG TW (Active with coil tap) pickups and either a B30EQ or B64EQ System preamp. What does this mean? It has a lot to do with what you like... The EMG TW's are the classic EMG soapbar sound, while the Hz's are frowned upon by some. On the other hand, the BTS is the classic EMG preamp, while the B30EQ and B64EQ were originally OEM preamps only available on budget conscious imports and frowned upon by some. Figure out which you like...

9. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Bumb for a nice bass in near new condition

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    In response to another thread asking about the difference between the Schecter Hellraiser and newer Schecter Hellraiser Extreme basses...

From Schecter info, the biggest difference is pickups and preamps. The older "Hellraiser" has EMG-HZ's which are passive but has the top of the line (at the time) EMG BTS preamp. The later "Hellraiser Extreme" has EMG TW's (active EMG's with coil tap, as used in many Spectors), but a lower model EMG preamp. Many don't like the EMG-HZ pickups, but IMHO, when used in conjunction with an EMG BTS they sound awfully good. In fact I was using a Spector Euro5 in a band I was in. The guitarist, who "ran the show" and had set lines he wanted played, had a Schector "Custom" 5 bass with EMG-HZ's and EMG BTS, that we would "demo" his lines on, and his bass sounded as good if not better, and had a broader tonal range then my Euro 5 with EMG DC's and Spector Tone Pump. I love the sound of that Spector, but he could do more with his Schecter's pickup/preamp combo than my bass could, with pretty close to identical tone with everything set flat as the starting point.

11. FlexPete

FlexPete

Sep 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Hi, can you advise the weight please?
    Cheers

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    10 lbs even in my bathroom scale

13. FlexPete

FlexPete

Sep 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks, abit to much for my old back, good luck with the sale.

14. Is this bass still for sale?
    If so, what is type of fretboard does it have?

15. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Yes, it is still for sale. Fingerboard is rosewood.

16. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
  17. I have a few more questions:
    What year is this bass?
    It looks like there is a pretty sizeable scratch on the back. Is this the light or is this a belt buckle scratch?
    Is the bass balanced? I know a lot of 5 strings have pretty bad neck dive.
    None of there are deal breakers; just want to know what you are offering.

I have never owned a 5 string, but I think one may be in my future. I have a Schector Stilleto Studio 4 and love it. Possibly the best bass I ever bought. This bass looks like a good candidate. I'm going to borrow an Elite-5 next week from my buddy who never plays his bass. It should be pretty close to the one you are selling. I want to make sure I just don't end up leaving it on the wall. If it feels good, I will be getting back with you. I will let you know either way. In the mean time, have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and shoot me back some answers when you can. Rock on!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021