Schecter Hellraiser

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Duke, May 13, 2016.

1. Jim Duke

Jim Duke

Dec 7, 2014
    Hey guys what's up?
    I've been meaning to buy a Schecter Hellraiser, but the information is scarce. Pretty much all info is focussed on the Hellraiser Extreme. The price is quite diferent. Is the Extreme really worth the double, or can the Hellraiser cut it? Oh none of them are available in nearby stores. If I order I have to buy. (I know the Hellraiser was discontinued but there are stock leftovers) Thanks!!

2. I have a Hellraiser Extreme 5 that's just a killer bass. You won't be sorry if you buy one.

TD

3. Jim Duke

Jim Duke

Dec 7, 2014
    Awesome. Thank you!!

4. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I honestly didn't think there was a difference? I have a Hellraiser Extreme 4 and it's a well built, good-sounding, solid bass. I didn't think there was a specific Hellraiser-only bass out there... maybe I'm wrong?

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    From Schecter info, the biggest difference is pickups and preamps. The older "Hellraiser" has EMG-HZ's which are passive but has the top of the line (at the time) EMG BTS preamp. The later "Hellraiser Extreme" has EMG TW's (active EMG's with coil tap, as used in many Spectors), but a lower model EMG preamp. Many don't like the EMG-HZ pickups, but IMHO, when used in conjunction with an EMG BTS they sound awfully good. In fact I was using a Spector Euro5 in a band I was in. The guitarist, who "ran the show" and had set lines he wanted played, had a Schector "Custom" 5 bass with EMG-HZ's and EMG BTS, that we would "demo" his lines on, and his bass sounded as good if not better, and had a broader tonal range then my Euro 5 with EMG DC's and Spector Tone Pump. I love the sound of that Spector, but he could do more with his Schecter's pickup/preamp combo than my bass could, with pretty close to identical tone with everything set flat as the starting point.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021