Schecter Jazz Basses??? Anyone know about them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I local shop has one in stock. Its a black cherry color with a quilted top. Good condition. Top looks like it has some "slap scratches" under the neck pickup.

He has it tagged for $599.. Said he'd sell it for $429 and I'm thinking of offering $399..

Are these decent basses?? I dont know much about them at all other than you can hardly find them.. As far as jazzers, I have 2 SX basses.. Are the better, on par, or worse than SXs?

Also, it had a "Made in USA" tag in the back. Is it a marketing thing or are they REALLY made in the USA?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

AFAIK Schecter USA had custom-shop fender copies in the mid-80s and stuff.

400 bucks would be a hella deal for a Custom shop Schecter.
  3. Yeah, I need to double check it tomorrow. I remember it has a red white and blue sticker on the control cavity cover and I'm 99% sure it said "Made in the USA". I need to double check the headstock to see if it has any markings and make sure the sticker wasnt just applied there by someone. Honestly, it played quite well and had a good sound. I needs a setup and new strings, but I could tell it had pontential.. I'm just trying to get some more opinions.

If, in fact, it is a US model. How much do those go for new?? Would "slap rash" consitute a deduction in price in your opinion?
  4. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    I have an early-90s Schecter Trad B/5, basically a 5-string Jazz Bass. It's an awesome player. If that's one of these then it's a great price!

At $400 I'd buy that over anything available below $700, IMHO way better than MIM Fenders, especially if that has their "Monstertone" pickups.
  5. I dont think its a Trad B/5.. It looks exactly like this: but it had a "Made in America" sticker on it which confuses me because I thought they were made in Korea..
  6. I just called and it is the Korean made jazz.. Is it still worth the $400??
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My korean bass lists for about 1800. :-D. (Lakland Skyline but still, don't judge a bass by the country it's made in.)
  8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I played a schecter Jazz two days ago. I loved it. The only thing I didn't like was that the harmonics were REALLY weak. I had the bridge pup cranked, and the treble boosted on the amp and it was still weak.
    Good luck with the purchase!

9. Too bad its made in Korea. I have a USA Schecter Jazz bass that I bought new about 4 years ago. I got it on sale for like half off, around 900 bucks ($1800 reatail?). Great bass, it was my main axe for the first 3 years until I switched to P basses for all my band stuff. But they are very well made and of higher quality when compared to MIA Fenders IMHO. The only thing I didnt like about my schecter was the PUPS, they are the exposed magnet type (no covers) and my thumb always got cought down in the Pup cavity. I eventually replaced them with a Bart j/MM configuation which I shouldnt have done. :(
  10. I guess my question is, is $400 a fair or great price for the Korean made?? Are the Korean made basses, quality wise, better or worse than MIMs, SXs, etc? (in your opinions)..
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, $400 is a good price for that very good bass. It's comparable to a Fender Jazz Bass 24 or other better Korean stuff (not the Lakland stuff). $400 for a USA build Schecter would be either impossible or stolen.
  12. Ok, I think I might pick it up.. I'm only in the town where its being sold for one more day so, unfortunatly, I dont have time to sit and think about it.

I have the choice of picking up one of the Scheters or a Ken Smith Design Jazz bass.. But, I've never played a KSD Jazz.. One major difference I know of is the KSD is 34in and the Schecter is 35in.. I play 6 string so Im use to the 35in..

Anyone have an opinions on the Schecter 4 vs the KSD Jazzers?
  13. Im not sure if the Korean made is the same as thier Diamond series stuff, which Ive never been a big fan of. This bass looks just like my USA but I would check for fret buzz, my USA has a great neck with no buzz even with lower action then what I usually have on my other basses. If all is good I would think that maybe a PUP change with some high end Fralin, Seymore Dunc., Fender reissue, etc... would be in order? Wait, is the one your looking have active electronics in it? I prefer passive and would yank active elec. out of a cheap bass anyway.
  14. I once played a used Schecter Custom Shop (USA) Jazz, and it was incredible! It played great and sounded really good... :bassist: I would have bought it (at Sam Ash), but I was a poor college student at the time...
  15. So, is it the California Custom 4 like this? It's $500 new at Music123...

Real EMG pickups and electronics
    Hipshot Style A bridge
    Grover tuners
    Alder body with Figured Maple top

I've heard good things about these basses. Is Jugghaid a TBer?
  16. Yeah, its active EMG pickups and preamp.. Im looking for an active jazzer. Thats why this one caught my eye..
  17. Well if the sound of the electronics work for you then enough said, if later down the road they are not then its any easy fix. Just make sure the neck action is good and Im sure youll be happy camper. I mean really now a days its hard to falt any of the over seas stuff! I just dont like the feel or something about the diamond series but if the bass works go for it and get to practicing! Hell my main basses lately are moded 1980's Yamaha BB300's made in taiwan. :)
  18. I think I may go ahead and buy it.. I tend to think about purchases WAY too much.. A little impulse buying once in a while wont hurt me..
  19. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

I think it's a great price for a highly underrated bass. Regrettably, people place too much emphasis on where a bass is made as opposed to the build quality. Those are great basses for the price. Go for it.
  20. sounds like a done deal! :) I would be interested to know what you think of it?