1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Model T Neck Specs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlove, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    Anyone know the neck specs on the model T's. I don't see it listed on their website.

Finger board radius?
    Nut width?
    Satin or gloss neck on back?
    Satin or gloss on front of the maple board model?

2. aerobass13

aerobass13

Jan 10, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    I own the black and maple Model T. Excellent bass. It has the exact same neck as the Diamond-P and Diamond-J. Jazz style but not overly slim

Not sure of finger board radius
    1.5" nut
    On the all maple neck, both front and back is glossed

I'm not usually a fan of gloss necks, but this plays pretty fast and isn't as tacky as some of the other glossed maple necks that I have played. If you can get ahold of any Schecter with in-line tuners though, I believe all those necks are the same dimensions.

3. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton

care to share you thoughts on the bass. I am after a passive p/j and am surpised how few of them are out there.

4. Other than the Model T, there are these passive P/Js...

Fender Modern Player Jaguar

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special SS

Squier Standard Precision Bass Special

Axl Badwater APJ-820

ESP Vintage 204

Peavey Zodiac BXP

Schecter Guitar Research Diamond-P Custom (Not a P/J, technically, but a P/JJ)

Yamaha BB424X

Not exactly an abundance of choices, but there are a few other options out there.

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I have the butterscotch/rosewood model and I LOVE it. Its my #1 passive bass. The Duncan pickups are amazingly clear. My ultra-picky guitarist complimented me on the tone the 1st time I brought it to rehearsal.
    I generally have the P pickup wide open and use the J when the song calls for it.

I think the previous guy was right when he said 1.5 inches at the nut and I also have no clue about the neck radius. But then again, I'm the least picky person I know when it comes to neck size so it doesnt matter to me at all. I dont find the finish tacky.

The fit and finish was really good- the only flaw I found was that something had been pressed onto the body wood prior to finishing. Its a rectangular spot about an inch by 1/4 near the E side of the bridge but its not visible at all from the front and it doesnt affect playability at all.
    It came out of the box with a tremendous setup done. The action was pretty low and the bass is easy to play.

I ordered mine sight unseen from Amazon. I figured if I didnt like it I could always just send it back but I really like it so its a keeper. I cant understand why they are so hard to find in stores. I've never seen a new one in a store anywhere and I've only seen a few used ones pop up in our classifieds. Thats why I went the Amazon route.

6. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    If the ESP's were not reliced I'd be all over them.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I love my lefty.
    basses008-1.

8. aerobass13

aerobass13

Jan 10, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    I absolutely love mine as well. I got mine off evil-bay for around $300, and I could not ask for a better deal.

Fit and finish were great on this bass. Body was fantastic, all hardware was very heavy-duty and secured nicely to the bass. I also love the classic Tele bass vibe that it gives.

The neck is nick and fast. As mentioned above, it's got a jazz nut width, but isn't quite as shallow. This allows for some pretty fast runs without getting fatigued throughout the night. The all maple neck also has the glossed fretboard. This leads to a very snappy and crisp tone without being harsh.

The electronics are the best thing about this bass. I usually run the P full open with about 1/4 of the J blended in, tone full open. The SPB-2 is a nice thumpy pickup that can get a lot of growl and has a lot of character. It has a nice rounded bottom, so it doesn't get very boomy, and depending on how you dial the mids, it can get a very nice grind on every string. The Jazz is a little nasally for my taste, but I never solo it, so it's not really an issue. It blends very nicely with the P and adds some bite to the highs and high-mids. These pickups have a ton of versatility for a passive bass and can go anywhere from dark and wooly for a vintage vibe, or bright and aggressive for metal. A little bit raw sounding, but that's what I love about it.

I used to be an active bass lover, and this was the first bass that made me switch to loving passive. Sold 3 basses after buying this because they couldn't compare to the tone of the Model T.

9. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Thread Revival!!!

There's an import Model-T avail locally and I am VERY impressed with it. The previous owner dropped in some EMG's and they are NASTY in the PJ config.

My question is, if I wanted to put in Reverse Tele neck from Warmoth or whomever in, would it fit? taking quick measurements with a ruler, it looks right.... anyone ever try this?

Shot in the dark....

10. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    do these necks have a flat heel?