Schecter Model T Robert DeLeo Signature 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 21, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    finally schecter is distribuited here in italy! and i'll be able to order a schecter bass. i love the robert de leo signature bass and i have seen that it's available in 5 strings version too. i'd like to know what's your opinion on this bass, and i'd like to know the same about the 4 string version. which are the ups and downs of this bass? how much is it in the usa?

thanks a lot
  2. I was wondering that too. There are a bunch that are always for sale on Ebay, for like $225, and i was kinda wondering if they're any good. i thought that they might be a good project bass. I'm assuming that the Robert De Leo Model T is the same as the T-4 and T-5.
  3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I got one of the "cheap" Model T's that have been on EBAY. I have noticed that some are blems or seconds, and these seem to all have one or both pickups very uncentered (off two one side) under the strings. And then, some, such as the one I have, is in perfect condition. (Watch who you are buying from...I got mine from a guy in MD.) I have the sunburst one with with dual J's and a maple board and it plays as good as it looks and has a GREAT sound for an inexpensive instrument. Having half way decent (Duncan Designed) passive pickups instead of cheap active electronics is a big plus for it. The tone is warmer and more powerfull than either my 75 or 83 Jazz, both which have Duncan "Vintage" J's. If I had to compare the pickups to any thing else, I would say they almost have the "beefiness" of either Schaller or Dimarzio J's, and to my ears that is a good thing. All in all, a really cool bass!
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Should add that mine is the 5 string version, and also, it is one of the few instruments that I have ever played that right out of the factory box, was set up and ready to go! Action was supurb and intonation was right on...I was stunned.

5. I just got one off Ebay and will let you know how it goes Barroso. Mine has the 2 jazz pups rather than the p/j config I've seen on many. A nice translucent white with a white pickguard. Comes with a very large looking case as well. $300 to find out if I really want to play a 5-string wasn't too bad I suppose.
  6. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've been very impressed with the Schecter's Stelletto line of 5 strings. Now I'm a G&L/Fender/Music Man kinda of bass player, so though the T-5 would appear to really suit my comfort zone, they looked...well flimsy to me. I was not impressed.

Fast-forward, I see on eBay these new and improved T-5. Gone are the sticky concentric vol/tone knob replaced with 2 vols and 1 tone (a al Jazz bass). I also see these often mis-lined pole pieces of the PJ pickups have been replaced with covered J-style Seymour imports. And to boot, they even have a model in black with pearliod pickgard (daddy like!). I'd prefer 35" scale like the Stelletto, but I have to say these new T-5s look pretty darn good. It appears that these are the T-5 the players on this thread have.

So lets have an update guys; are these basses holding up well? Still dig them? Any complaints? Are they even better than you thought? What's the scoop?

7. Schecter basses aren´t mentioned too much in TB. I´ve never seen one live but I checked them at their website and seem to be very good instruments.. they look pretty nice also.. they seem to good for the prices shown in the website.
  8. Remember - most of the stuff you see in catalogs and ebay are the Diamond Series models, not the USA Custom Shop models.
  9. EarlDemarkation

Oct 11, 2004
    hi together,

i have a Schecter Model T Robert DeLeo Signature 5-String, woderful bass,from 1999!

greets Ralf
  10. kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    I cant comment on the 5's because I dont think Schecter makes them anymore but i just got a butterscotch yellow 4 a few weeks ago and I love it!
    It has regular Duncan pickups- the SPB2 and SJB2 which are the "Hot" versions and they are some kick-a$$ pickups. Our lead guitarist said he likes the sound of this bass better than any of my others-he said the clarity of my sound was excellent.

I also have to echo what SMG said about the setup. I've NEVER had a production model bass come in the mail with such an excellent set-up.

The only flaw I could find is an impression in the wood under the paint alongside the bridge. It looks like something heavy was pressed into the wood before it was painted. You can feel it slightly and its only visible when you tilt the bass. You can see the uneven reflection.

Other than that one flaw- I love this bass and it jumped up to #2 in the rotation behind my Clement custom. :bassist: