1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Model T Session

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LBS-bass, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM.

1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    You all got me curious about the Sterling, so I weighed myself with and without that bass. 10.2 lbs difference. Then I weighed myself with and without the Jazz and that's a 9.2 lbs difference. The Jazz is my main player, so I don't think I'll be too disappointed with the weight, it should be right in line with what I'm used to hauling around.

EdBo likes this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm thinking you will be... I love the looks of these! Schecter makes some great instruments!

Slinger, LBS-bass and EdBo like this.
  3. I've got a Riot-4 Session, and it's one of the best sounding and best built basses I've got. The frets are tapered much better than most of my others, it's light, and the built-in EQ gives it a distinctive sound. They're criminally underrated instruments.

4. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    As a huege Robert DeLeo fan, I’ve always had my eye out for the right deal on a Model T. Best of luck with it!

LBS-bass and EdBo like this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622

May 27, 2012
    Philadelphia, Pa
    I have the same, butterscotch version, replaced the pup with a quarter pounder. Nice instruments and your right you can't beat it for the price

EdBo, lowdownthump and LBS-bass like this.
  6. Robert DeLeo approves of this image...

EdBo and LBS-bass like this.
  7. Doug Pinnick approves of this image...

EdBo, LBS-bass and Nick Danger like this.
  8. I even play it through a Tech 21 DP-3X pedal to get dUg's King's-X vibe.

LBS-bass and basscapes like this.
  9. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    On my Butterscotch 50's P the bridge and pickup had a wider sting spacing than normal so I changed the Bridge to make it normal spacing.

If you like the sound/tone of Dusty Hill I found the main ingredient, IMO. I finally broke down and spent the $150 and got the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Stacked SCPB Pickup. Totally different tone from the previouse 3 I've tried and no feedback or noise even with loads of gain/distortion. It actually sounds a lot like a Hot Split Coil pickup. Mine is rippin Hot at 31.2 K.

I may eventually order a white/Blond version but I'd have to change the body color.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Not here yet! I'm not feeling very patient. Fed Ex just says it will be here by the end of the day. <drums fingers on table top>

EdBo likes this.
  11. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Does it say "on truck for delivery" ?

LBS-bass likes this.
  12. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    View attachment 3208055 It just arrived! As luck would have it, the drummer in my band is here visiting so he got to share in the NBD joy, and let me tell you, the joy is significant. My first impression of this bass is that it is everything I had hoped for, X2. It's exceeding my expectations in every single way. Tone-wise it is certainly acceptable, doesn't have that nasal weirdness that my Sterling has. It does not sound like a Fender, but it's definitely a tone that will sit pretty easily in the mix. And it plays like butter, not to overuse a cliche. Nicely set up from the factory with a low action and not a buzz anywhere that I can find. I'm more thrilled than I could have imagined.

Sorry about the mess, my practice room needs a little love right now :)

13. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Congratulations !
    If you think it sounds good now, just wait till you put some good strings on it. Unless Schecter has changed something their stock strings are not very good, IMO and from others experiences.

14. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    What strings would you recommend? I heard this could be an issue, and also the pickup height, and I'm sure I'll find little tweaks needed here and there as I dig into it more. But right now, for something straight out of the box and no additional set up, I think it sounds amazing. I can only imagine what a few little tweaks might do.

EdBo likes this.
  15. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Congratulations!! It’s a great bass. I love mine too. The EMG setup is fantastic. Enjoy it, sir!! And post more pics, please.

16. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    If you like Stainless Roundwounds , I started using DR Hi-Beams(MR-45) 4 years ago and they last longer, keeping their bright tone longer than anything I've ever used. I wish I'd have known about them 30 years ago. They are amazing. They sound like a fresh set of Rotosounds but, last so, so, so much longer.

LBS-bass likes this.
  17. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I do like the SS rounds, so thank you, I'll check those out. Played with it a little more this evening and I'm still really impressed. The active EMG pups are hot, as you would expect from an 18v preamp, and they really deliver an old school 80's type of sound, to my ear. Drummer said he thought it would be a good sound for funk, I think so too, but I also think it's got enough versatility that it could work pretty well with just about any genre. There's nothing about the sound that I find myself wanting to dial down. Bridge J pickup is suitably growly, neck P pickup suitably round. I think I'll be able to do a lot with this bass.

EdBo and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    You will thank me later if you get the DR Hi-Beams. I'm so glad I took dUg Pinnicks advice and tried them.

Here's the link to your EMG BTC control that explains what the switches do. Enjoy :bassist:

http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/b/t/btc_control_0230-0206rc.pdf

LBS-bass and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
  20. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    EdBo likes this.