1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Model T? Squier VM P/J? Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GK Growl, Oct 8, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    In the market for a new P/J bass. I know, before all the V/V/T P/J haters chime in I'm certain this is what I want. I already own several P/J basses and I like passive V/V/T P/Js. Now that I have the disclaimer out of the way, who here has experience with either of these? The Schecter sounds appealing spec wise, especially the jazz style neck and the Seymour Duncan pickups but.....something about it looks weird. Maybe because it almost looks like a Fender/Squier but it's not. The Squier would be familiar because I already own the Affinity version and the older Precision bass Specials with the jazz neck. I would imagine I should go for the Model T just based on the pickups alone. Share you thoughts!

2. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    SCHECTER I have one & is killer tone and playability. AND IF stp AND kings x can playthem whats wrong with that???

3. The pickups in the VM P/J are quite nice and well balanced.
    It felt slightly neck heavy, to me, given that it has an agathis body.

4. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    How noisy is that Seymour Duncan J pickup?

5. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    This bass has the ceramic single coil J right? How noisy is it?

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If you already have a couple of P/J's why not save some bucks by installing a set of VM Duncan Designed (or stronger) pickups into one of them? (doubly so if you already like the feel of it)

7. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    mine is not noisy at all. i upgraded my pots and it is better now than when i got it

8. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    To the Model T owners, what is underneath that huge pickguard? Is there routing of any type or is it just for looks?

9. I have 3 P/J style basses. The Schecter Model-T, Fender P Special (w/ passive pups)
    and a Squier VM Jag. I like the way the VM sounds the best BUT the build of the
    Schecter is way better than the VM and maybe even better than the Fender Special.

The Schecter M-T does sound great. The one I have is from when they first came out
    with the mass produced Diamond Series. The one I have has DD pups too. Schecter has
    changed the pups and controls on these basses a lot over the years. Being that it is
    a tank it weighs as much.

So my vote is the Schecter.

10. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Looks. It's modeled after the old '51 p bass if I remember correctly. There's nothing up there to route really, unless there is a bit of a route coming from the p pickup to the controls like most non boutiquey basses seem to have.

11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    "Slightly neck heavy" is an okay trade off for a bass that ways just over 7lbs. A leather or suede strap will keep that light of an instrument right in place.

As for the noise questions, I noticed some hum on the j pup when solo'd through my Ampeg B50r but almost none at all through my Genz Benz Streamliner. Either way, it's not as noisy as my actual jazz bass.

12. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    and the P pup is very BEEFY and loud still would like to check out maybe a fralin or Lawrence pick up in to A & B it ..

13. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    And it has cloth leads...those have better tone, right? :bassist:

14. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Well that and according to Schecter's sight because it has a rosewood fretboard, "... the stray overtones are absorbed into the oily pores."

15. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    Wow Schecter....I'll have to remember that the next time everyone is debating maple vs rosewood. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great info everyone!!

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I've had a couple of the Model T's. KILLER bass.

17. The sexy Model-T is the black and maple.

I had one for about two years. Awesome build quality and sounded great!

I was surprised that it was made in China. I had purchased a Diamond P5 just a few months before the T and it was from Korea IIRC.

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Model T.
    I love mine, sounds great, super action, lovely neck.
    Here's my lefty T.
    modelt2_zps9961a538.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for the Model T! I would love to have one with EMG pickups.

20. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    here is my MODEL T might be for sale tomorrow

Attached Files: