1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Omen 5 vs. Ibanez SRS505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D Von, Apr 2, 2006.

1. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Whats up fellow bass players? I come with a question about two 5'rs. Which would better benafit an intermediate bass player looking for his first 5 string, the Schecter Omen 5 or the Ibanez SRS505? I play metal using mostly finger style and a pick sometimes. Thanks everybody.

2. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    I'm biased towards Schecter. So I'll say go with that. Ibanez hasn't been too impressive lately. But that's just my two cents.:D

3. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    The Schecter basses tend to be built a little better, but some Ibanez models are a great value. PLay the heck out of both of them. You'll get THE FEELING about one, then you'll know.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Schecter Omen 5 versus Ibanez SR505?

Easy, the Ibanez.

mahogany body vs. basswood
    5 piece wenge/buginga vs. maple
    Bartolini 3 band vs. Schecter 2 band
    Bartolini pickups vs. Schecter pickups

The build quality/price of the new SR50x seires is amazing. The 500, 505, and 506 are all amazing. Feel good, nice thin neck, great great pickups and an awesome EQ, and super power.

Also I don't know about the Schecter, but 505's have fairly tight spacing, which is great for quick finger playing and nice for pick playing.

5. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    thanks for the help, im still not sure but i do like a thin string spacing and am looking for whatever is easier to play since tyhis will be my first five string. i fell in love with the neck on the ibanez, it was unfinished and found it very easy to play. will i get the sae reaction from the schecter?

6. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The obvious solution is to go out and play them both, and buy what you like. I haven't played the Omen, but was pretty damn impressed with the SR505. I'm considering maybe getting an SR506...

The tone was much better than I expected. I found the string spacing almost uncomfortably narrow, but it was in the range where I think I could adapt to it. It had a really good acoustic tone, and a warm but very punchy and well defined tone plugged in.

7. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    i felt really good playing that ibanez too, it actually felt awesome. but, am i just being stereotypical saying that this bass isnt worth buying simply because its an ibanez? also, is a sound gear better or worse than just simply ibanez. i never knew wut the term "sound gear" meant. don't get me wrong, ive played some awesome "****ty name" basses and loved them, but will i be happy with this bass in a metal atmesphere? (sorry if im being a pain in the ass)

8. Yes, you are.

The SR505 is an excellent bass -- especially the newer ones with the Bart pickups & preamp. If you like the way it sounds/plays/feels, buy it. Don't sweat what people say or think.

9. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes, avoiding Ibanez is downright silly. The SR505 is a spectacular instrument for the money. When I played it, I didn't notice any construction or finish issues at all. It's made out of good tone woods, and it uses good pickups, electronics, and hardware. And they sound great!

Ibanez gets part of its wrap because they produce instruments at all price levels under the same name. Yeah, cheap GSRs aren't amazing instruments (although I think they're decent for the price), but they also produce instruments way over a thousand bucks (I was playing a BTB1205 yesterday, and I think I'm in love, at a thousand even, great deal).

The SR505 is in the middle of the soundgear lineup. They have stuff like the SR300 (PJ setup, Agathis body, etc) which are cheaper (I haven't played them), and the SR1000 series (neck through, custom barts) which are more expensive. I actually liked the 500 series better than the 1000 series, but that's really just a personal tone thing. I thought the 500 was punchier.

The thing with the soundgears is they're well known for their very thin necks and very sculpted, small bodies. If you dig this, then that's awesome. I remember a thread on favorite bass necks, and the SR was the top for a lot of people.

Personally, I think I find it a tad too tight for me. I think I'm probably going to end up buying an Ibanez BTB, either 556 or 1206. They're a bit wider, both in body and neck. A bit of a different sound, too.

Also... come on, Ibanez and metal are pretty traditional bedfellows. I'm pretty sure the SR505 can cut metal just fine.

10. hard to say, ibanez has gotten way better lately, the only thing wrong with ibanez is its marketing image, but schecter has a pretty bad marketing image too. theyre both great, but the SR is just way sexier too, so i'd go with that. just my 2 cents

11. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I love my older model SR506(90's) and the newer ones are much nicer. I'd say Ibanez all the way, although the Schectors aren't too bad either. Play em both and see how you like them!

12. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    thanks again everybody, i think im gonna go with the ibanez. between the nicer pickups, neck, and finish the ibanez blows away the competition. (time to start saving for a new bass) lol

13. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    wouldn't the Schecter C-5 be a more even comparison price wise? And it's got nicer woods etc... but if you like the Iby get it... just sayin'

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  15. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
  16. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    now that you mention it, it was the srx505... my bad... lol, i originally posted it as srs. dont know where i pulled the extra "x" from. i like those elite basses a lot, very comfortable. but the srX505 is on sale for the next like three weeks so i was gonna hop on it. im pretty sure the schecter elite was goin for like 650 while the srx505 was like 400.

17. aftershock

aftershock

Apr 26, 2005
    srx505=loud, powerful and aggressive. i bought one recently. t'was on sale for $352{usd}. i'm diggin it! it's good for heavy music and other types as well.{i use mine at church:bassist: }

18. Go with the Ibanez, it just feels smoother to me when compared tothe Schecter..

19. Go for the Iby man - if I'm not mistaken the SRX series have wider string spacing than the rest of the SR line and have great aggressive proprietry(is that spelt right?!) pickups.The sr505 is still a great choice and has the extra versatility of Bart pickups and pre but the srx will most likely be cheaper and still do exactly the job you want.
    I'm not gonna knock them but have never really found a Schecter I liked.
    My 2c...

20. Hey
    I love Ibanez basses, i just got an SR905cnf and its awsome, but i owned a Cort B5 with the same pick-ups as the SR505(bart. mk-1's)and they sounded like **** on a bolt-on. I say that because my new SR905 has these pick ups too and they sound sweet but i think it has alot to do with the type of wood and the fact that mine is a neck thru. My suggestion is to go with the schecter just due to the fact i was really dissapointed with the sound of the cort. If you go with Ibanez id go for a higher end model, you wont be dissapointed.