1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter preamp replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobdabilder, Mar 10, 2013.

1. I bought a schecter stiletto extreme 4 because of the action and feel of the neck. The electronics are a bit weak. I play rock, country and do some slap/pop funk. I prefer to slap on my Ibanez roadgear ($100) because of the punchy funky mids i can get out of it. I want to replicate that on the schecter. The schecter has passive pickups. What do you suggest for a preamp or pup/preamp combo. I'm ok spending some cash to make the bass right (within reason) and doing the work myself. all input appreciated. sorry for being wordy.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Sounds good!

If 'm correct, the Ibanez Roadgear has a MM-humbucker / single coil configuration, right?

You could place some Seymour Duncans on your Schecter. This will change the sound a lot, without changing the preamp at the same time.

3. Yep, the ibanez has seymour duncans. Would I shoot for the ssb or the asb (passive/active) considering the preamp in the schecter? Thanks for the reply.

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Depends on it. Passive / Active can be handy if you like to go for a more ''vintage'' sound so now and then.

5. Can anyone add some insight into if the active pickups will work with the stock preamp. if any mods are necessary or should i stick with the passive pups for the stock preamp?

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    According to Schecter's website, the preamp is active. So yes, the active pickups will work ;)

7. Thanks for the help. I'll detail the swap here. I'll add some pics soon.

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Can't wait!

9. Pic of the bass and the electronics
    schecter.
    schecterelectronics.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Wow, that's quite a upgrade! :hyper: