Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by no_im_adam, Jul 21, 2004.

1. no_im_adam

no_im_adam

Jun 5, 2004
    I got a brand new schecter stilleto studio 5 about a month and a half ago and about two weeks ago the pre-amp has started buzzing like crazy has this happened to anyone else with schecter basses? is there anything i can do about this?

2. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    I have a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4. I get a lot of buzz in my practice room when I face certain directions. I am sure it has to do with the lights in the room, which are on a dimmer. The lights are on a separate circuit from the outlet that my amp is plugged into, so I am not sure why I have a problem. I do not have a problem with buzz when I practice anywhere else. Figures.

I think the Schecters are great basses by the way. I got mine brand new for 489.00. A lot of bass for the money.

- E.

3. The buzzing when facing a certain direction is from improper cavity shielding and RF interference most likely.

I would say that this is typical of Schecter basses. I have generally found them to be just about the poorest made bass on the market. I have played several and have never found one that I thought was worth the gig bag they would come in.

For $489 you could have gotten a much better instrument new or used. You have to look a little bit, but I have seen all kids of things go for that price.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have to disagree with you crhoton. I think for the price you get a quality bass. I have played many of them and the fit and finish has always impressed me for a bass in their price range.

The noise thing is kinda weird. EMG's don't normally have a problem, that I know of, of picking up noise. Hmm. I will be interested to see what it turns out to be.

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a Schecter Model T that has a great neck/body, but horrible, weak pickups(Duncan Design). Fender Noiseless pups are going in.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I definetly disagree.

Ive played many, probably in the area of 30 schecters, mostly from the stilleto series and they are fine basses. Not my thing, but they are fair quality for the price.

If you have buzzing issues look into having the control cavity shielded. I recommend checking out the pickips forum for more info on that.

7. I guess one man's Schecter is another man's Pedulla.

I just know that when I see (on this web site) a Hamer USA 2Tek Cruise bass for $550, I know there are better basses for the money.

8. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    I guess my post kind of hijacked this thread, but thanks for the advise about shielding. I'll have my local shop take a look at it.

When I was looking for my first bass, I decided to give Schecters a try. I was looking at a C-4 bolt on. It was OK, but not blowing me away. Then I reached over and plucked a string on a Stiletto Elite-4 that was hanging on the wall. Bingo! Great tone, and it turned out that it had a much better feel to me than the C-4. I ended up buying it and haven't regretted it one bit.

- E.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I personally have never played a Cruise bass I liked.

EDIT: Also there is a big difference between there being better basses for the money and being the poorest bass on the market.

10. I suspect once you have been playing a little longer you will be able to quickly recognize the difference in the quality of basses. It isn't a bad thing to not be able to immediately recognize a difference in quality, just something that comes with time. I don't really think that there is anyone on this site who (when A/B-ing them blindfolded) would choose a Schecter over a Hamer 2Tek Cruise (since that was mentioned). Quality goes beyond a figured top and some fancy inlays and binding. Those things are nice, but you come to learn that they really aren't that important. If you find a bass with a great neck (and that has always been the problem with every Schecter I have touched) you should buy it. I don't care what it says on the headstock.

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've had a Schecter Stilletto Studio 4 for 2 years and I've had no problem whatsoever with this bass. I've never had to tweak the truss rod, it has great low action and good intonation. It's definitely a keeper for me.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I played a neck-through one before, I remember it being heavier than my Corvette, i.e 11-12lbs. And the electronics weren't my bag, but a decent instrument for the price tag.

13. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    In my opinion, Schectors are fancy looking crap. You can get a much better bass for the same price...may not LOOK as nice, but will play/sound much better.

14. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    Hi. I have stiletto studio 6 for 6 month now. And it a awesome bass. The finishe is great, same for the lutherie. The harware is quality (EMG pickup and pre-amp, grover tuner)

You can't say it's a not a good bass. You can dislike it, it's your choice but you can't say it's a bad bass.
    It's a very good bass, with an appreciable cost. And very polyvalent.

It's easy to say it's a bad bass, what is your arguments.

For your buzzing problem have you try to change the batterry of the preamp? And verify that your plug is connected to earth

15. I love my C-4!! :hyper:
    I play nearly every weekend and use the Schecter
    exclusively. I don't even bring my American standard
    Jazz bass along.
    Great bass.

jbrist

16. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    Yup tried both of those.

Thanks,

- E.

17. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think someone saying Schecter is crap or junk is way off base. Why are they crap or junk? Its not because of the workmanship or quality of parts. Opinions are based solely on personal preference. The feel isn't right or the tone isn't what you like. That doesn't make it junk or crap. It just doesn't work for you, thats all.

As for being able to feel the difference between a quality bass and a lower quality one if you only had more experience. I have been playing for 13 years and haved tried numerous bass' during that time. Personally I haven't played a Fender yet that I like. Spectors? I can't stand them! I don't like the feel of them at all. Ofcourse, thats my opinion. However, it still doesn't make them junk.

18. Fenders and Spectors from Guitar Center don't count. For that matter, Spectors from Europe don't count.

19. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have played one vintage Fender that belongs to a friends dad. I guess it was OK, it just didn't feel *good* in my hands. It had decent tone though. I admit, most Fenders I have tried have been at music stores, although never at GC! I don't shop there, ever. The Spectors didn't sound or feel good to me. The Spectors I have tried have all been too expensive for me anyways.

Like I said before, just because I don't like them doesn't mean they are junk. They just aren't right for me.

20. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    I have tested a fender jazz bass usa fretless, and i say the stiletto studio 6 has nothing to envy to this fender bass. In term of sound. It a quality bass. The hardware are very good (EMG pickup and preamp, grover turner) it's not a low price ibanez with pickup of unknown origin.