1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Riot Session

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaymaster, Mar 4, 2020.

1. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    IMG_20200301_083736_976.jpg This is my new bass I got used from Guitar Center. It looked and played so nice that I had to. This is my first experience with active EMGs. The neck pickup is 40J which is a single coil under that cover. The bridge is a 40DC. The neck is probably half as quiet as the bridge. It's actually a little shocking. I wouldn't say the height is a huge difference from pickup to pickup. I am just thinking the J pickup is a lot quieter than the DC. Does anybody have experience with these 2 pickups together?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Have you emailed EMG and/or Schecter? It may be an output level difference between the EMGs or maybe the pre can be adjusted to balance them if they are actually different.

3. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    I have now, we shall see. I have a feeling the neck pickup is connected wrong or something.

4. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Nice Bass. Is it a blend knob? I guess that'd be obvious, I was gonna say make sure vol was all up. But you must have checked, as how else would you know of the 2 individual sound levels.

Hope you get it figured out.

as suggested, check the pickup heights, as the neck pu should just feel "louder,fuller,bigger" than the bridge solo'd.

5. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    According to the docs on EMGs site, the 40J output is 2.00 volts, the 40DC is 2.50 volts so yes there will be difference in output. If there is room you could lower the DC and raise the J until you get the balance you like.

6. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    That seems to be the answer. I will try it out.

7. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Schecter wasn't of much help so I did a little experiment. Long story short, yes the J is very low output compared to the DC. I swapped them for science!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021