Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter SB-1FL vs Reverend Rumblefish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Mar 27, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    On Musicians friend it says the Rumblefish can get a lot of lows. Now I want something that's clean sounding and "can move a lot of air".

The SB-1FL would definatly be set with a set of flats, and the Rumblefish would probably be set with a set of GHS brite flats.
    (to put things in prespective)

I finger pick. (not slap, finger pick)

I play lots of ska, so I need the clean sound sound, like I said. So I can play fast... nothing muddy.

Just need some opinions of which is better.

Oh yeah, if you couldn't already tell, This is going to decide a purchase I'm going to make. But I don't really have access to much but the common fenders, some gibsons/epiphones/MM's/Spectors... etc.

I've never really heard much about these, but spec wise they both look really nice. HELP!

THANKS!

2. i would go reverend, i've heard lots about their clear sound, the piano-like tone and such. i'm saving up for an XL 4 myself, because on top of all the good stuff i've heard, it's the coolest looking bass i've seen.

3. Go for the Reverend. It smokes basses that cost twice or three times as much.
    Oh, and from that other thread: Reverends are nothing like Danelectros. Danos are toy basses. Don't be fooled.

4. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I gotta agree with Dave: Reverend!

I just picked up a 5L, and I still can't believe the great tones and excellent workmanship. If you want low and clean, you owe it to yourself to audition one!

5. by the way, musician's friend will tell you that every bass can get a "lot of lows" and moving air is something speakers do, not basses.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Although a bass with a better low end will move more air. :D

Which of the two will move more air? That's the question. And still sound smooth, clean, and so on. Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you have a problem "moving air", get a better amp.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It's not that at all, I CAN move air, with my bass. But it's not like shotgun to the chest when I play an A. I mean, with the Low E it is, but not the A. Yah know? I have incredible credibility. My amp's 700 watts. I have a 4x10 and a tweeter, and a 1x15 - Both ported with huge ports.

My setups versatile enough. I want a bass that can move more air. (has a good low pitched signal)

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nobody's helping me compare the two... I just have opinions of people who've played the Rumblefish... Anyone ever try a SB-1 or SB-1FL? The SB-1FL's the same as the SB-1 just has a set neck.

And what did you like about the rumblefish's? Any reason? And the person who played the rumblefish 5 string, what'd the E/A/D/G sound like?

THANKS!

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What does "credibility" have to do with your amp? As far as a bass with a "low pitched signal"...a low E will be sending the same frequencies as another low E, so i really dont see what this obsession with everything super low pitched. Just buy a bass with a pickup as close the nut as possible!

I already suggested the Yamaha Billy Sheehan; that bass with its woofer pickup is still by FAR the best choice for what it seems like you want.

But, moving air is still the amps job. I can "move air" through my bag end with an acoustic/electric guitar! ;)

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    My bass can get lows, as any bass can. But like other bass's that can get better highs than other amps, I'm assuming there's a bass that can get better lows than others can.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ever thought of just playing upright?

13. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    USA
    You can get excellent lows on the Schecter, by using the neck pickup and turning up the bass EQ.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've considered it, but I figured I'd rather play electric for versatility.
    And also the style of music I play requires an elec sound rather than upright.

And thanks for Mr. X's opinion.

Although... I still need an opinion of someone who's played both.

I can't just judge on like 5 people who've played one or the other. Not really a fair comparison. They both are most likely very good bass's, but which is the better for what I'm looking for? I can't try them out before making the purchase, the closest place that would carry both of them is in philly, and I live 2 hours from there.

And it'd be pointless to drive to philly just to turn around and order it from musiciansfriend.com

Right now I'm leaning towards the SB-1FL since no one commented on how good the lows are on the Rumblefish.

Although I'm really interested in the "Super Clean" sound of the Rumblefish... I'm torn... more opinions please!!!

thanks for everyone who has already posted.

15. The Rumblefish has great lows.. and great mids, and great highs too. It's a great bass. Buy it!

16. Don't get mad that no one is helping you out. Neither of those are exactly common, and the chances that you will find someone who has played both is going to be slim. For what you want, I would suggest the Revered. Never played it, but it seems more in your league. You might also want to check out a Stingray. I know a lot of ska guys use those. You should also look into an Epiphone Jack Casady. That will give you plenty of bottom end.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive said this before...ive played both, and the Rumblefish is leagues ahead of the Shecter.

18. Another suggestion: You may want to ditch your cabs and go with a pair of 1x18's. I think this will make a dramatic change in your sound. You want lows, you got em. That 4x10 is not going to give you the sound you want. At least sell that one and buy another 1x15. I would suggest a pair of Bag End S18B-D's. You can check them out at www.bagend.com.

Do you really know how much low end you are putting out? You need to be standing at least 15-20 feet away from your rig to really tell what's going on.

And dude, calm down.

19. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    USA
    I also have played both and the Schecter is better in looks, playability, and sound.
    So who is right? Me, or Angus? For each of us, we both ARE! It is just a matter of personal taste.
    The ONLY way that YOU will ever know for sure is to play them both yourself. Otherwise, whose opinion do you listen to? :)

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, Matthew, ive mentioned it in other threads, and he seems to be attached to his Peavey.

But C-Eye, he's got a point, too. If you just like rumble, then those are perfect, especially for rumble without the mud.

Mr.X...youre wrong, im right! :D :D