1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Scorpion Bass *Opinions*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Nov 20, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    This guy recommended me to a Bass called Schecter Scorpion Bass, which is a 4 string bass tuned BEAD, from Musician's Friend.. its about $500.. do u guys think its worth it? I Mean the pickups, I don't relaly pick, since its a EMG Hz.. but other than that, has anyone tried these basses out? CUz I was thinking of getting a used G&L for $600, getting a graphite neck, changing nut/bridge, which would cost around $1000 all together.. so I was wondering if this bass is good... Any opinions??

DM

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What G&L model ???? I have yet to see an imported bass for $500 that is better than a G&L in terms of sound or feel. I have no idea why you would want to swap out the G&L's neck, yes, you need to reslot the nut for BEAD tuning but the bridge should be usable as is.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Whoa! I didn't recommend it, I've never played one. I just said its one for you to consider. Anyway, Bass Player recently did a review, I think in the October '00 issue.

Mike - a.k.a. "This guy" :D

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    MJB: Yup.. Dave Siff told me about it... he's recommending me to get one also :)

DM

BUt I might change the G&L neck to a MOSES GRAPHITE! :D! mwahhaa

5. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Well, I didn't really "recommend" it either, DM..
    I said it might be the way to go as far as having a 4-string that's designed to be strung BEAD, and saving some money. But I've never played one.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    OOh... Okay~~ My BAD MY BAD!! :D

DM

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No! Stay away! The bass doesnt sound very good, and the b is pretty sickly played fingerstyle. It really is a pretty terrible sounding bass for fingerstyle. Didnt have much depth, and felt just awkward. I think the G&L is by far the superior choice. Pretty tonally.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

DM, I don't believe that it would be necessary to replace the neck with a Moses graphite on a G&L.

And an L1000 or L2000 strung BEAD would blow that Schecter out of the water.

9. kevin_5656

kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    I think the BASS PLAYER review indicated that the bass didn't sound very impressive when played fingerstyle. But sounded MUCH better when it was played with a pick.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounded like crap with a pick too.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I checked-out that Bass Player 10/00 review of the
    Schecter Scorpion and got to thinkin'. I bet you COULD
    make a good B-E-A-D for fingerstyle with a 35" scale.
    Strings? Rotosound makes a Swing Bass set gauged 65-80-
    105-130 (length?). I emailed Warmoth and they can NOT
    make a four string neck with a 35" scale (bummer!).
    I think that's an important feature to keep the B from
    bein' too floppy. Maybe Modulus? ($$$)

12. If you want the low B than I would just geta 5 string. Depending on the style of music that ou play, you almost always need the four basic strings, EADG. I have a four stringer and I'm savin up my money for an Music Man Stingray 5 cuz I like the low B.

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    MM5 has to be one of the best 5 strings ever! :) good luck on it.... i guess i'll be tuning my Salas Custom 4 with the BEAD strings :)

DM