Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Scorpion Bass *Opinions*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Nov 20, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    This guy recommended me to a Bass called Schecter Scorpion Bass, which is a 4 string bass tuned BEAD, from Musician's Friend.. its about $500.. do u guys think its worth it? I Mean the pickups, I don't relaly pick, since its a EMG Hz.. but other than that, has anyone tried these basses out? CUz I was thinking of getting a used G&L for $600, getting a graphite neck, changing nut/bridge, which would cost around $1000 all together.. so I was wondering if this bass is good... Any opinions??

DM

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What G&L model ???? I have yet to see an imported bass for $500 that is better than a G&L in terms of sound or feel. I have no idea why you would want to swap out the G&L's neck, yes, you need to reslot the nut for BEAD tuning but the bridge should be usable as is.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Whoa! I didn't recommend it, I've never played one. I just said its one for you to consider. Anyway, Bass Player recently did a review, I think in the October '00 issue.

Mike - a.k.a. "This guy" :D

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    MJB: Yup.. Dave Siff told me about it... he's recommending me to get one also :)

DM

BUt I might change the G&L neck to a MOSES GRAPHITE! :D! mwahhaa

5. Well, I didn't really "recommend" it either, DM..
    I said it might be the way to go as far as having a 4-string that's designed to be strung BEAD, and saving some money. But I've never played one.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    OOh... Okay~~ My BAD MY BAD!! :D

DM

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No! Stay away! The bass doesnt sound very good, and the b is pretty sickly played fingerstyle. It really is a pretty terrible sounding bass for fingerstyle. Didnt have much depth, and felt just awkward. I think the G&L is by far the superior choice. Pretty tonally.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

DM, I don't believe that it would be necessary to replace the neck with a Moses graphite on a G&L.

And an L1000 or L2000 strung BEAD would blow that Schecter out of the water.

9. kevin_5656

kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    I think the BASS PLAYER review indicated that the bass didn't sound very impressive when played fingerstyle. But sounded MUCH better when it was played with a pick.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounded like crap with a pick too.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I checked-out that Bass Player 10/00 review of the
    Schecter Scorpion and got to thinkin'. I bet you COULD
    make a good B-E-A-D for fingerstyle with a 35" scale.
    Strings? Rotosound makes a Swing Bass set gauged 65-80-
    105-130 (length?). I emailed Warmoth and they can NOT
    make a four string neck with a 35" scale (bummer!).
    I think that's an important feature to keep the B from
    bein' too floppy. Maybe Modulus? ($$$)

12. If you want the low B than I would just geta 5 string. Depending on the style of music that ou play, you almost always need the four basic strings, EADG. I have a four stringer and I'm savin up my money for an Music Man Stingray 5 cuz I like the low B.

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    MM5 has to be one of the best 5 strings ever! :) good luck on it.... i guess i'll be tuning my Salas Custom 4 with the BEAD strings :)

DM