Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Stiletto and SWR Workingman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilikethebass, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ilikethebass

ilikethebass

Feb 3, 2005
    Detroit
    So I got my Ibanez SR1015 stolen out of my car after a gig. :crying: I payed $900 for it about 5 years ago, though home insurance only payed me $300 for it (it was stolen out of my car in my driveway). So I had a decision to make being close to broke and all.. what to replace it with? I have researched many a bass in the 5-$800 price range, of which Warwick and Spector cought my eye. I have played both, and liked them, but niether of which enough to buy. Spectors are dry and warwicks are overly warm. So at a Guitar Center that had both of these, I went on my first day off work in weeks... There were all types of basses there 70-80 total I believe. I played many and only 1 stood out, the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5. Very nice, neck through, EMG-HZ pickups. Passive with active EQ (quite impressive for passive in my opinion). Its got a sweet finish and gold hardware... But ya it plays very nicely, thinner neck with close action. Quick. So after close investigation, internet research and and a good ammount of time I decided on it. It was marked $599, and nothing on the internet could beat it. I went back to the store, and was playing it one last time through an SWR Workinman's 15 (used tagged $349). It sounded baaad, and the dude said he would get me a price on a package. :p
    The long and short of the story is, I finagled my way to this bass, a case and the amp for $850. I was very happy to get to this price and bought it immediately. I also told him I needed a cord thrown in as well as I was leaving, so I recieved a LiveWire 12 footer or so for free. I had to tell somebody!! Thanks for reading, and comments are appreciated. Anyone play with this equiptment? Also I took pics, but dont know how to put them on here!

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just bought the same bass (Stilletto Elite 5) a couple weeks ago. I have to agree it sounds fantastic. same price $599. You got a heck of a good deal for a complete setup IMO. btw I didn't go in the store looking for that particular bass, but it was head and shoulders above anything else in the store. I get the feeling I'm going to be playing it alot.

3. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I just bought a Stilletto Elite 5 also. Should be here tomarrow. They are great looking basses and sound great for the price.

Matt

4. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Sold both my schecters, C4 and Elite 5.............. I liked them at first, but the love faded quicky and a divorce was inevitable.

I'm married again to 3 fender girls and well were all happy........ :hyper:

Good luck with the elite 5 and give us a long term review if you can...

:D

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think those are nice basses. A student of mine has 5 string fretless and it plays and sounds great. I don't personally like EMG's, but it's a nice bass none the less.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    What made you not like the schecters? Was there something wrong with them or Did you just change your mind about what you wanted in a bass?
    I'm curious because after buying mine I'm finding it hard to believe I got a bass that plays and sounds so good for so little money. I hope they don't fall apart after a year of use or something like that. I'm kind of thinking about getting a C5 also.
    I'd also like to hear some long term reviews on schecters.
    btw my other bass is an American Fender Jazz V.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm picking up a Stiletto Custom 5-string this coming week, I was FLOORED by this thing, not a lot of money (just under $600) yet had that throaty Music-Man type sound I love for fretted, plays like a dream, super low action and definitely something I look forward to playing every time.

It's a dang shame that Schecter doesn' t make a fretless version of it.

8. ilikethebass

ilikethebass

Feb 3, 2005
    Detroit
    I think its really cool that I can post something like that and get your guys opinions through experience. Gotta love Talkbass! And yes, I will give the equipment a few months (or more) and post reviews on both of them. I also wish there was a fretless version!
    Thanks all

9. I ordered my Schecter Stilletto Custom 4 last week. I Should receive in a day or so. I think its a good upgrade from the Squire P- Bass Ive been playing on.

10. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    This thread is changing my mind from picking up a corvette, I gotta get my hands on one of these puppies before I make any decisions.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, I don't have the Stiletto 5 but I do have the Stiletto 4. :smug:

I bought it off of MudFlaps here at TB. I have had it for over a year now. So far the only problem I have had with this bass is that the nut on the input jack kept coming loose on me. No problem, I just installed a second nut and have never had to mess with it again.

The finish still looks just as sweet now as when I got it and the gold hardware has held up extemely well. The electronics have given me no trouble at all, not even a scratchy pot! I also would like to mention that this bass stays in tune really well.

Last words? I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Schecter product.

12. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I have a Schecter Stilleto Studio Five fretless. I've had it for 18months or so and I'm still very pleased with it.

The only modification I have made: It came wired with 2 volume controls. I switched that to a master volume and blend. That works better for me.

Godspeed, I hope you have many enjoyable experinces with your new gear.

13. im looking to get a new bass myself and that was my first choice however i changed my mind a little and now i think im going for the schecter exotic with the zebra wood. smooth lookin guitar with same quality.

14. If you really want to go the inexpensive route - try a Schecter Stiletto 5 through a (dare I say it) - Behringer 3000 amp head (the one that's 199 at GC), and 2 Behringer cabs - 2 -10's and 1 - 15. You could probably take the whole package home for between 1000 & 1100, and have an AWESOME sounding AND versatile system. Schecter Stilettos are nice - just CAN'T get past that orange (honey) finish!!

15. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    I have had my Schecter for about a year now and it has held up absolutely wonderful. I could not have found a better deal for such a low price, definately a really well made bass. I have had no problems at all with it, and it really has held up really well for the year i have had it.

16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I've had my Stiletto now for a few days and I am EXTREMELY happy with it!! If they made an unlined fretless version of this one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! :D

17. If I needed a 3rd bass, it would be a natural finish Stilletto Custom 4 or Studio 8, depending on the need and the budget. I have played the former & been very impressed, and I have a bit of GAS for the latter, or perhaps even a Stiletto 4 FL.

18. I have a Stilleto Deluxe 4-string. I love it. I've played the Custom and Elite series also and they just keep getting better, you can't go wrong with one. My Deluxe was like 400 and a great deal if you ask me. A little too much low-end resulting in some muddy sound, but nothing a new set of PUs can't handle.

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've got one of the Delux 4's. Like Mikey said, it has too much bottem end...way too much bottem end.

If you can get that under control, it's a very happenin piece of equiptment. It blew away the 900 jackson that was in the store beside it.

I'd like to play more schecters, I can definately say that mine is tonally worth more than it's price to me(having paid under $450 which included case and accessories).

I would recommend picking up a Schecter if you see one while in store and have a go with it. Very good basses for the money.