Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Stiletto Custom/Studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QU!CK, Sep 14, 2005.

1. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been in the market for a while shopping around and looked at just about everything available in my price range!

I'm a lefty so my choices are a bit limited but I did have a chance to play a righty (played upside down) Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 about a week ago at Guitar Center.

I liked the tone and feel of the bass, granted that it was upside down, and wondered how the Stiletto Custom 5 might compare to it?

I currently have an Ibanez GSR200L (will be traded for new 5 string) and a Yamaha BB404L that I'll be keeping.

I play 90% "black gospel" and need a bass that can give me anything from a warm mellow tone on the mids and lows to a bright percussive attack on the highs for songs involving some slap work...

From what I've read on Harmony Central, the Stiletto Custom seems to have a nice slap sound but I've never heard one in person. I guess I just want to make sure that I'm not going to be throwing my money away on a higher model (the Studio) if I can get what I want/need out of the Custom.

Either bass should be better than my Ibanez right? :bag:

-J

2. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    *Bump*

Somebody has to know something!

-J

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    From what I've heard, Schecter is a pretty decent company. I play in a youth praise band, and I use a Spector, so you might want to look at one of those as well. I don't know if you can find one that's left handed though.

4. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    I just got a new Schecter Custom 5. I only play praise and worship at church. I'm still getting used to that extra string but used it the first Sunday after I got it. Being a noob and having never played the Studio model, I can't tell you how the two compare.

The only thing I have to compare it against is a Squier MB-4 which isn't going to help you any either. So, yes, I have one, but don't know how to answer your questions because I've only played these two basses in my life . . . sorry.

5. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Could you give a review of the Custom 5? From what you've said, this bass seems to be ideal for my usage! (Praise & Worship....Fred Hammond stuff, Isreal & New Breed, Kurk Franklin, etc...)

-J

6. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    I would love to if I could . . . I mean really though, I only have ever played one other bass in the short time that I've been playing.

Given that, I can say that I am very happy with the Custom 5. Compared to my Squier, it plays 10% better, sounds 20% better, and looks 575% better.

I ordered it online from stevesmusiccenter.com. Of all the places I was able to find it available, he was the only one that had it in stock. Plus, he was $50 cheaper than everyone else. That turned out to be because he had the five string listed at the four price, but he offered to honor the four string price without me even asking. So, for $499 and free shipping on a figured maple top, five string, active bass I feel I got a pretty good deal.

As far as sound, the low E sounds much cleaner than the low E on my Squier. My Squier has a problem of the D&G strings being more quiet than the others. This seems a little better on the Schecter, but the higher strings are also a little quieter.

The neck feels about the same as the Squier to me only a little wider. One thing I've noticed that on the Squier, the G string is so close to the edge of the neck that many times, I'd push it off the neck. That is much better on the Schecter and I have not had that problem at all.

I don't have another low B to compare to, but I think it sounds good on the Custom 5.

As far as controls, there is a volume control for each pickup along with bass and treble cut/boost.

To describe the sound, I really don't know what to say. For what I'm doing in church, I only turn up the neck pickup, boost the bass a little, and get a nice clean deep tone like I want. I've only played it through my Crate BX100 so that may be helping or hindering the sound . . . I wouldn't know at this point.

I hope that helps. If you have any specific questions that I can answer, I'll sure try.

7. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    also being lefty, I have looked into both the lower/mid level spectors, and the schecter studio/custom.
    Have to say, I like all evenly.
    I found the spectors a bit clackier, but I like that sound for rock.
    I found the schecters to be nice and smooth and played very well.
    Couldn't feel a big difference between the studio or the custom.
    I think one is neck through, and the other is bolt on.

8. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Hey Logan,
    I think I can help you out here a little bit. I been playing for about five years now and I started learning on a five string (Jay Turser JTB550) and it is still one of my main basses. "That is after a few upgrades" :D

I have the studio six and it is a outstanding bass. :hyper: It has great tone, Outstanding slap :eek: and it can be adjusting for any sound I want. I bought the six only after I tried the five and fell in love with feel and the tone. I ask the local sale guy at Alpha Music Store if it came in a six, he yes and I new I had to have It. :hyper:

Trust me I'm considering picking up a studio five as well :cool: It will be a awsome weapon in my arsenal. I play gospel, praise and worship too. Add the studio 5 to a SWR 550x and man you better be ready to get excited.

My advise buy the Studio I tried the custom too.
    It felt the same but just did not have the flexable tone adjustability like the Studio 5. :bassist:

Gambit0714 :bag:

9. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I had the stiletto elite 5 and the C4, The elite 5 is for sale(consignment) the C4 I traded back to G.C. for a pbass. The pbass I have is in another thread I started titled "fender p-bass natural ash. The fender that ruined it for me is my Marcus Miller 4 string, once I bought that, the schecters really sounded like $hit, I never picked them up again.

I have tried many basses recently, I have found fenders to be the brand for me. The schecters were both noisey in the active department. I also prefered the tone of the fenders over the schecters after playing them back to back. If I had to describe the difference with a word to go with the sound, I would say this: The fenders sound beefy and rich, the schecters sound flat and unsalted chickeny. :D

Bottom line: I would go with fender or fender, but of course I'm very biased now. :bassist:

10. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    Hi have a stiletto studio 6. It very versatile, you can have many kind of sound. And with EMG HZ it very clean. For the price it's an awesome bass. Good finish and good hardware.
    I put a piezo on it and black nylon string and i am very happy with my super bass.

11. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Thanks! You have no idea how helpful you've been...thanks also to gambit0714 for the review of the Studio model!

I'm still torn right down the middle but I'll be making a trip/call to Guitar Center to find out a little more on the Custom 5.

Gambit0714, how hard is it to slap on the 6er? I toyed with the idea of just skipping the 5 string and jumping right in to a 6er but have shyed away because I thought it would be darn near impossible to slap on bass with a neck that big.

Could any of you tell me the string spacing (bridge, 12th fret, nut...) on the Custom 5, Stiletto 5, and Stiletto 6? That would be a big help as well! Thanks again guys!

-J

12. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    It would really surprise you to know that the neck on the six string is real easy to get around. It's a lot smaller than most off the shelf six strings. It didn't take me long to get use to it and to learn slap pluck, and pop with it. If you can slap and pluck on a five string then it will not take you long to master the six string Stiletto.

Gambit0714 :cool:

13. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Could you possibly measure the string spacing for me? Something tells me I'm about to be spending ALOT of money, lol...grr, darn GAS :hyper: :bassist:

-J

14. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Please understand that I don't have a ruler that measures metric. :meh:
    This what I got.
    @ the nut 11/23 of a inch
    @ the 12th 1/2 inch
    @ the bridge 5/8 of a inch

I hope this helps. :D

Gambit :cool:

15. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Thanks! I was able to play the Custom 4 last night also and that didn't make life any easier, lol....

But then I made the mistake of picking up a Bongo... :ninja: :scowl: GAS

Ah well, I'm still going to get one of the Schecter's since they are within my current budget...I'll post pics once I decide!

Thanks againf or all of your help :bassist:

-J

16. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Glad I could help :p

Sorry about the GAS. I been there, I'm just try to keep mine under control. For some strange reason I found myself in Alpha Music holding a MTD. :scowl: Just a little out of my price range though. :crying:

Good Luck.

Gambit :cool:
    [​IMG]

17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Count me as another proud owner of a Custom-5! For slap, chordal playing and just general low-frequency fun, this bass has got me covered for a very reasonable price!!