Schecter Stiletto Elite 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ajax, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Ajax

Feb 2, 2004
    Anybody own one of these? I like what I see in the online catalogs, but before I waste gas driving to the Big City to lay hands on one, I'd like to ask some questions-

1) I currently play a Fender P/J 4 with DiMarzio passive pickups. I run it thru a Genz-Benz ML200-115T with an SWR 2x10 ext cab. I play with a pick. Will the Schecter give me the same punch and high-end clarity that I get from my P/J pu's?

2) What is the neck width at the nut? I'm used to J necks, and don't want one that's exzcessvely 'fat'. Fender's 5-strings run about 1.875" at the nut.

3) If you own one, what's your opinion of the quality of the instrument?

Thanks folks, I appreciate it!
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Played a few, they play and sound excellent, I'd highly recommend any schecter
  3. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I have one, and have been happy with it for the last two years. It is very comfortable to play, and the build quality exceeds the price. Tone wise I was mixed. Stock it has thunderous lows, and some crisp highs but to me was very lacking in the mid range. the two band pre did nothing but accentuate this also. I swapped the EMG's and the preamp out for Bartolini Classic Bass soapbars, and the Bart three band active/passive pre. This has made a tremendous difference, and is so much more useable live and especially in recordings. The basses are mahogony bodied, and have that vibe to them not all that removed from the Thunderbirds, but still unique. Overall I very much recommend these basses, and if you are one to try upgrades then they can be made to sound much better very easily.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I just got one of these 3 weeks ago and love it. Mine is the charcoal grey on quilted maple top with chrome hardware.
    IMO you will get more high end punch with this bass than the fender. btw my other bass is a Fender Jazz V.
    I notice very little difference in the string width between my Fender Jazz V and the Schecter Elite 5. Not saying there isn't any difference just that I don't notice it. I notice the difference in scale length more than I do the string width.
    Quality seems top notch especially for the cost of the instrument. Unless it falls apart on me or something, I'd say it's a keeper.
  5. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I went from an Ibanez Blazer (p-bass) with Dmarzio Split P's. The Schecter cuts through a lot more, has lots of punch, and has a much more modern tone. I play with a pick about half the time and love the tone with about 80% bridge, 20% neck. The build quality is great. The finish (mine is honey) is supposed to hold up very well and the tuners feel really sturdy, which always seems to be the weakest part of a guitar/bass. The neck is definatly not fat, in fact I dont notice much of a difference between my 4 and this bass. The string spacing throws me off though.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    cb56, I'm glad you've got a 5 you like to back up that Fender. I have to agree about Scheters, I've been very impressed by them.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, actually My Fender has been staying in the case alot lately since I got the Schecter. So far the three different soundmen my band uses have all commented positively about it. One even recommended keeping the Fender in it's case. :meh:
    As you know I've been through several basses in the last 6 months looking for the right one. I know you have been too. btw, Still have that Lakland 5501 I sold you? Haven't seen you talk about it much lately here.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just realized, i never answered this question! No, I don't have the 55-01. I currently have Guild Pilot 4 as a backup to my SR5, who knows, i may get another 55-01. It wasn't real versatile, but it has a great neck and B string.
  9. I played a Schecter Stiletto at the local Guitar Center through a Behringer rig (3000 head - 2 - 12's and 1 - 15' cabs). Almost bought the whole thing it sounded so good...for under a grand too!! The Schecter played really well and had great tone. I wish the color, finish and fretboards were different though - I'd have to go custom (read: over 3K) just for those little changes.