1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Stiletto Elite-5... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I played a beautiful black cherry quilt top Schecter Stiletto Elite-5 today. I am not normally a five-string player but this baby was comfy. Korean made, neck through, 35" scale, bound fretboard. Nice color, gold hardware, monorail bridge. Not too heavy. Double EMG soapbars, simple EQ, good tone. My only hang up is that it's kind of a favored instrument in the metal genre - and I'm so not into that. But... it was pretty. And sounded good. And played well. Anyone have one? Thoughts? They wanted $525 or something for it, which is more than I was willing to pay since I've seen 'em go in the $300-$400 range on EBay and even some below $300.

2. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I own one, and for the money it's one of the nicest basses you can buy. I've never had anything but pleasant experiences playing them. I say go for it.

3. I bought one on CL for $300, cleaned it up, put new strings (DR Longnecks) on it, and replaced the preamp with a Bartolini NTMB (three-band). I've played it on every gig for the last three years, and we play everything BUT metal! Never been an issue.

-jb

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Cool! How's the new preamp sound in comparison to the stock one?

5. It's too difficult for me to describe the difference in sound, but subjectively, I was very happy after the switch. The Bart is also noticeably quieter than stock, has the mid (switchable freq), and the pull-passive on the volume knob, in case the battery takes a dump during a gig. I'm not always happy with "upgrades" I've made, but I was *very* happy with that one. And since it's pre-wired, it was a 15-minute operation with a soldering iron.

-jb

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I don't have Elites, but I'm a big proponent of the potential of Schecter basses. I usually end up putting different pickups and preamps in mine, but a good many Fender fans also do that to their supposedly 'superior' Fender products.

:)

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Can't go wrong with a stiletto, and that's optimal price range for a brand new one.

Hell, I paid almost $800 for mine, an elite 4.

8. I've owned an Elite 5 for a couple of years now, and I love it. I have played Fenders, Yamahas, Warwicks, and the Schecter is, for me, the best I have played. I bought a Schecter Studio 5, but the Elite still feels, sounds, and plays better than any of them. The most bass for the money, IMHO. Go for it, you won't be sorry.
    :bassist:

9. ddwilkins

ddwilkins

Dec 21, 2006
    Wilson, NC
    I have one as well. Mine has bartolini pickups and an aggie obp-3 preamp. Here's a picture before I made the electronics swap.
    SD530116.

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Naw, this one was used at MusicGoRound. I could hunt around and find a used one online cheaper. Trouble is, black cherry seems rarer than honey burst. I like honey burst, but I already have a G&L L2000 in a very similar color. Thus, I insist on black cherry. Plus it just sounds delicious :)

DDWilkins - I have the exact same bass head - the Eden WT 800. I imagine it sounds like buttah through that head. I played it through an SWR 350 at the store. Sounded good, but not Eden good :)

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    NO,NO,NO!
    Schecters are only used for metal and cannot be used for any other style music!
    cb250.
    TG081707cb-1.
    I've owned a few schecters and while the Elite5 is nice I couldn't get past the high mid honk that I didn't seem to be able to EQ out. Probably being too picky. I've since switched to Peaveys, but if I had to use only Schecters it wouldn't break my heart. (Or my wallet!)
    Elite5a.
    Elite5body.
    schecters_007.
    schecters_005.

12. Droot

Droot

Dec 29, 2006
    Only bass I ever regretted selling.
    DRoot

13. i'd say schecters are lovely basses, played one (a custom 5 i think) then bought my hellraiser 5, i'd tell anyone who's looking to buy a bass in this price range to have a look at it :)

despite the look (and the name!) in my opinion it looks and sounds great in any genre

only thing i'm looking to maybe change is the EMG-HZ pickups, they're not bad but i know i can get better :)

14. they are awesome for the money. I had one, but i got rid of it to make room for another bass. My 2 nits are string spacing too close (gained a little room since I use lite gauge string) and the EMG-HZ pickups need to go.

15. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I love mine. I changed the pickups and now I love it more.

cb56, do you still have the stock preamp? If so, there are two little switches that you can fiddle with to reduce the mid-range honk. They change the freq of the treble knob, and make the preamp much more musical.

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I no longer have any Schecters. I did try all combinations with the two dip switches in the preamp. Didn't seem to affect the mids much, just the treble.

17. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    +1 on those dip switches. I had no idea they were in there until I emailed Schecter cust service a couple weeks ago. I saw on their website that the EMG pre has switchable frequencies and neither of the tone pots are push/pull.

Made a nice difference in the tone of my Riot 5!
    I almost wish they did go with push/pull pots for easier access.

18. thoughts?

I WANT ONE!

19. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I have an Elite 4 and it's a great bass. Obviously, stuff like tone and feel are subjective, but it's one of the slickest-playing basses I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them. The only downside to them is that they take a bit price hit from new to used---I overpayed for mine, too. But the flip side of that is that comparing what you get to what they cost, they are criminally undervalued in the used market. Oh, and I don't play metal at all. Mine is honeyburst or whatever they call it.

20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    IMHO that mid honk is the EMGhz SoapBars. And that's from experience not a hunch. No more Hz's... no more mid honk on mine.