Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Stiletto Elite vs. Spector NS2000/4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dags, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    These basses are pretty similar in parts, appearance, and price. I've played the Schecter and it's very nice. I haven't gotten a chance to play the Spector since the NS2000/4 model is a bit harder to find. So, I'd like to hear what you guys think of these basses. I'd prefer comments more in the way of head-to-head comparisons but if you only have experience with one of these, feel free to share. Thanks.

2. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    :ninja: bump :ninja:

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I have an older model of the spector NS 2000 5 string and I really like it. The action is low, but without much buzzing, and the EMGs sound really good. Also, some of the finishes you can get on the quilted maple top look really cool. Sorry, but I dont have any experience with Schecters.

4. well, heres some good info for you... ive had a bunch of ns2000 4's and 5's and in the beginning i thought that the pickups made the bass... then i played a schecter with emg-hz pickups and it sounded like ass... the preamp in the spector made all the difference... go for the spector... they are much better basses and the preamps can be upgraded to 18 or 27 volts with 2 bucks worth of parts

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yup! And the resale is a little better, I think the neck feels better. Just add a battery and bango for $3.00 you now have an 18v pre and a tone that will smoke any Schecter(stock Schecter).

6. appler

appler Guest

In my experience, the Spector is easier to play (nicer body shape), and has better tone (nice pickups/electronics). And it looks cooler. Go with the Spector! You know you want to...

7. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i played a stilletto elite a few weeks back at a GC and it was punchy as hell. i played it through a fender bassman combo and it sounded good but i didn't play it long enough to really know how good it can be.

8. could have been the amp... i had a bassman 400 and it made everything sound better... i miss my amp :(

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Don't get me wrong I've played some great Schecters but the electronics were modified. Bass for bass out of the store as is Spectors have better guts and to me play better. I just love Spectors. If you ever plugged in a Spector American or Euro neck through you would know.

10. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Wow thank you all very much for the advice. My next question is how hard is it to find a neck-thru NS2000/4? It pops up on ebay now and then (there's one on there right now actually) but I'd really like the amberburst color. Color isn't that big of a deal but if I'm dropping around $400+ dollars for this then I'd like to meet most of my preferences. Any chance of finding a NS2000/4 in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash? I'm in Los Angeles and I'm not very familiar with the music shops around here other than 2 GCs and a Sam Ash.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Sometimes Bass NW has them. How much scratch are you really wanting to spend? Do you want a 5 or 4 string?

Ebay is the way to go, I get great deals on'em everytime I buy one. :help:

12. call around your area and see if anyone has them new old stock... check the dealer listings at ssdbass.com and see whats in your area