Schecter Stiletto EXOTIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klharper, Oct 27, 2005.

1. klharper

klharper Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey all,
    I know the stiletto exotic is getting a little more spotlight each day. I was wondering if anyone out here owns one or has played one?

Do you think it would be possible to find one at a local GC to try out? I know my local GCs usually carry Schecters and I've gotten to play the custom (was quite a while ago however) but never have seen an Exotic. Hows the sound, setup, basically any info more than just specs you have on the bass? I've been googling and searching the forums, but have gotten very little information about how the bass is.

Thanks for any info guys :)
  2. Never heard of it until I read this. After a bit of research with Google, I found plenty of online sources selling them and reviewing them. It's no suprise to me that they have nothing but good things to say about them. I love my Stiletto Deluxe, I plan for my next bass to be a Stiletto Custom or Elite. I LOVE these basses. BTW, here's a pic of the Exotic I found, she's a bewt. I know the pic is pretty gigantic, but you can really see some detail with it.
  3. klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Do you mean just the general reviews that list the specs, or user reviews that comment and criticize on the playability, sound, reliability, etc?

I've seen most of the specs reviews, but would love to see some real user reviews. If you found any, could you point me to those?

Thanks. Any more info on this bass is appreciated :)
  4. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    they also have one with a zebra wood top! its nice to!!
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Dang, no 5 string version :p
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've played a Schecter Stilleto Exotic twice, including today and it is a great bass for the money. It has that boutique king of vibe because of the neck through construction and multilaminate neck. The electronics are quiet and the preamp gives good tonal variation. I too would love a five, but at $850 or so for the street price, this is a whole lot of bass! Check one out if you can.
  7. klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Dr. Cheese - where'd you try one out?

I've been wanting to for quite some time now as soon as I can get to the nearest GuitarCenter (Atlanta traffic is never fun...). I've heard that a few GC's probably wouldn't have them out - would that be true possibly?
  8. drew_z

Sep 4, 2005
    East Coast
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've played Scheters at GC, but I really played one a long time at a local dealer.
  10. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    THAT is a sweet deal!

11. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    I thought the elite was the highest too, I almost bought a fiver a month or two ago.
  12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1 on it being a sweet deal! Ive never played a Schecter with Duncan pups, though. The GC by me only has ones with EMG-HZ's, which I hate, so it embedded this relationship between Schected and hate in my brain.
  13. :bassist: Ok, I know I am pulling up a month old thread here, but I just bought a Stiletto Exotic (zebrawood) at GC in Towson, Md last night.
    I was trading in my MM SR4 to get something with a wider tone range and 24 frets. I LOVED my 'ray, but it was slightly too limiting to be my main bass anymore. I went in there looking for a Warwick Corvette, Thumb, and a Tobias Growler to play and eventually purchase/trade for one. I found and played all 3, and then the sales guy handed me the Exotic. Bottom line is I was blown away. It SMOKED the Corvette. It sounded extremely dull in comparison. Next on the list were the Growler and Thumb. The Growlers neck felt better (go figure...its a Tobias for christ sake), the tone was just as versatile as the Exotic, but the Schecter had more bite to the high end. Close one. Next, the Thumb. The tone was just as good in quality, but it lacked the versatility of the Exotic. And even though the neck felt good, it was huge. Winner: Exotic. The thing that made me purchase this over the Growler was the contour switch on Stiletto. I call it my "Jekyll and Hyde" switch. In the down position it plays your on-board eq settings. in the up position it scoops some mids out for better slapping and warmth. Perfect for what I do.
    For all of you Warwick junkees, this bass has the exact same neck material as your bass, just a little smaller. And for all you growler fans, stick this in your arsenal for your soloing. The electronics are good enough to compete with any "high profile" bass, and the craftsmanship is on par with any boutique bass collector. BUY THIS BASS. At a list price of just under $1200, you can get a great number one bass, for the price of a backup. :bassist:
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I agree. It's a very nice bass and I was tempted.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played one. I didnt like the shape of the neck nor the tone.
  16. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I agree, the neck was pencil-thin. Beautiful looking bass though.

Graeme :)
  17. Bass looks great! One sort of critical question: did Schecter cheap out on the hardware? The finish on the bridge makes me think they might have, which is sad if true. Otherwise, she's a looker.
  18. :bassist: No, they did not cheap out on the hardware. Its pretty solid. Very smooth operation. And the bridge is set to perfection. To be honest, the looks are not what got me. I'm not much of "Boutique Bass" kind of guy. I love my natural woods, but the gold was a little much. But the tone was fantastic for what I do. But I will say this: The lower tier Schecter basses dodn't impress me that much. I have the feeling it was the EMG's that really killed it. But the exotic is on a much different level. Different wood. Different p/u's. Different sound.

Also, saying it has a Pencil-thin neck is a bit dramatic. Try playing ANY Ibanez Soundgear 4 banger. Now THATS a pencil thin neck. :bassist: