1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Stiletto Extreme-4 ok for first elec bass for jazz band for 11 yr old?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zsazsa, Jun 22, 2014.

1. zsazsa

zsazsa

Jun 22, 2014
    Son will be eleven in August. He's about four foot eight inches, will only grow two inches a year for at least the next two years, maybe longer. Plays classical double bass (on a quarter size bass) and trumpet well, starting jazz band in September, wants try electric bass too. I understand that the bass player often plays string and electric bass in a jazz band? I need advice on a first electric bass for him to try. There is a Schecter Stiletto Extreme-4 for sale near me, cheap. Would this be feasible for a first bass for him, and would it work for jazz band? I don't know if he would end up playing in a rock or metal band later on, too.

2. ComposedFiend

ComposedFiend

May 30, 2013
    Schecters are quality instruments, a 4-string is nice when starting on electric bass. Schecter should be plenty versatile enough. Be sure to let him try before you buy, electronics, etc. But also if he is comfortable playing that neck. Good luck!

RandomBox likes this.
  3. zsazsa

zsazsa

Jun 22, 2014
    that's the thing - is this too big/long for a person under five feet tall to play? He manages the quarter size bass, which is bigger, but that stands up on the floor.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Is it possible to let him try it out first?
    I have a bass I wanted to give my niece but it's too big for her...she's a little over five foot.
    If it is too big you might want to try a short scale bass, maybe a Squire VM Jaguar or Ibanez Mikro. Under $200 new.

5. There are so many entry level bass options from $125 - $200 dollars. I would certainly spend some time in a music store with him playing the "student" models to make sure he selects the bass that fits him, scale-wise. It should be really obvious at his age - one bass or another will be "just right" for him at this point in his development.

BassHappy

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Schecters make good instruments.. but in this case you might want to consider getting him a short scale bass initially. I would consider one of these:

Squire VM Jaguar

SX Ursa

Ibanez GSRM20

I was just in GC the other day and a mother was getting one of those Jags for her daughter. A great starter bass. If he finds he digs it you can always get him another one when he grows a bit more and will also have a better idea of what he wants. The SX basses are pretty good as well.

I agree with others who have said let him go into GC and try a few.. the Schecter is a nice bass but it is a 34" scale 24 fret bass hence my recommendation for a short scale (30"-32" scale) bass. The Squire Jags are very nice.

BassHappy likes this.
  7. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    good, solid, no nonsense instrument

8. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Youtube is a good resource to find out the kind of basses a young kid can handle.

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    By that reasoning we should all just go out and buy 6 string basses... because you tube is full of guys that can handle them....

10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    My eleven year old great nephew was interested in taking up the bass. This past Christmas I hooked him up with a Peavey Fury bass, which has a standard scale like the Schecter. I don't know exactly how tall my great nephew is, but I'd wager that at as of December he was about 4' 10" as he was a little shorter than his 5' tall mother. In any case, he has no problem playing a standard scale bass. I would have you son try it out though.

I have a Schecter, and think that they are well made basses. I think that it would be a solid choice.

Here is a pic of my great nephew with the Fury.

MasonandFury_zps484abf26.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1 Don't buy it without him trying, and liking it. If it doesn't appeal, he will be less likely to practice.
    2 Let him try a short scale.
    3 When in doubt, get the more conservative styled bass.