1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter Stiletto or Ibanez SR400QM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Servo, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ibanez SR400QM

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Schecter Stiletto Custom

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. I'm looking for a backup bass, and both of these are in my price range. I've played around with both, and they seem to be close to the sound I need.

My main criteria are: slightly aggressive sound, lightish weight, decent factory setup and long-term durability. The Schecter feels a bit lighter, but I generally prefer passive pickups, so I'm leaning a bit toward the Ibanez. I may be experimenting with alternate tunings, and will be using light gauge strings.

I've pretty much settled on one of these, so if anyone has experience with them, lay it on me.

2. I think if you are going to go Ibanez, get the 500 and not 400, there shouldnt be too much price difference.

3. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I'm happy with my custom 4, really light but as you said if you "generally prefer" passive pickups, go for the Ibanez.

4. This is my SR400QMCS & I just love it!

It has dual Ibanez humbuckers with active 3-band EQ, and "stylesweep" mid control. It has tremendous lows, and bright sparkling highs. The stylesweep midrange works by slightly reducing the very highest/lowest frequencies as you increase mids. Boosting the midrange gives a "fingerstyle" tone or reduce the midrange for "slap" tone. The nut is only 38mm wide, and 21mm thick at the first fret. The B20 bridge is nice with having one hex screw per saddle for height adjustment.

IMG_0129.

5. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    As I have oft said: Schecter FTW.

Stilettos have some of the finest bodies, looks, and fastest necks out there.

I personally use the Elite 4 as my main.

As far as Ibanez is concerned, I really like their guitars better than their basses.

6. MY main bass is a Schecter Studio 5 but for a back up, I'd say as long as it gets you through the night.

I have an old TR Series Ibanez 5 string and a GSR 200, I know these are low end Ibanez but they put a bad taste in my mouth.

7. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    I own an SR500 and love it, so I am a bit biased. However, the SR400 vs. the Schecter wouldn't even be a competition. I'd snag the Schecter all day long. (I'm not a fan of the tone of the SR400. Not sure if it's the basswood body or the lower end pups and pre) Now if you step up to the SR500, it becomes a VERY tough choice. Had I played the Schecter prior to buying my SR, I would've had to think long and hard.

8. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    That Schecter has passive pickups.

9. Sorry for the ignorance, but what does "active EQ" entail?

Essentially, I'd like it to run a signal at the same level as a Fender.

10. I have not played the Schecter but I do own the transparent lavender Ibanez SR400QM and for my applications it is a great bass. I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys on it in Drop D Tuning. I play it paired with a Digitech BP200 pedal through an Acoustic B200H head and Acoustic B115 1x15 Cabinet. I can get any sound I want from it. The style sweeper knob is a nice feature, as it allows for smooth transition from finger playing to slap with the twist of one knob. You do have to adjust your treble and bass boost as well as volume and pickup selector knob to get it to sound right. However that is a matter of preference. For my bands tunes, I cut the treble really low and go full on the bass boost. I use both pick ups and I adjust the style sweeper to fit the song I am playing at the moment. I am in a three man Christian rock band and we do all originals, so this bass and it's features fit our needs well. For the money, it's a good bass and it's hard to find in stores. I lucked up and found one in a GC near my area. There is a slight problem with hissing through some amps but it's nothing that shielding can't fix. I had mine professionally set up with low action for both finger and slapping. It sounds awesome now and I'm glad I picked up this bass. For a lower end Ibanez, it rocks.

11. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Wow I'm surprised at the poll results. I thought most of the people here preferred Ibanez. Interesting...

12. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Hey Tom Servo, Futurama is my favorite show by the way, the stiletto does indeed have passive pickups. It has an active preamp, so it needs a battery and it has active tone shaping which can do a whole lot with only 2 bands. But at the same time, it has the nuanced sound of passive pickups and the output level is right there with a passive Fender. It is actually very slightly quieter than my squier p deluxe. I gotta reccommend it on the basis of it's really fast neck and rich tones. The drawback is that, as a mainly pick player, I've noticed that this bass really shines when played with fingers.