1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Stiletto Studio VS EBMM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stepswork4me, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I went to GC over the weekend to check the current stock. I played on a $1700 Ray for a bit and thought it was ok. I then plugged the Studio into the same amp and was blown away! The Shecter was ballsy and clear. It had that piano like sound that I LOVE! The neck was comfy and it played like a dream. The Schecter made the Ray just sound bland and weak. If you play a Ray, please don't take this personally. It's just my opinion and it surprised me. Anyone else dig on the Shecter?

2. Wow, nothing to say. Dig.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I do not dig Schecters at all.

4. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I have a Schecter Elite 4 and it's a great bass, it's held up well over the past year. If you like it, I say get it =)

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    If the Ray you tried didn't have piano like brightness or it sounded dull, it either had a dead battery, old tired strings, or both.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    My GCs are notorious for the EBMMs having dead strings and batteries. More than any other type of bass.

7. I'm not a fan of the typical Schecters that turn up in the music stores around here, but I think I'd like the Model T or their custom stuff.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I like the schecter stillitos better then the stingrays myself to.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I had a schecter. I loved the bass. 35" scale 5 string. It had a nice neck. But when I played it in a band setting it got buried. It got sold on ebay.

10. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    I have both a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 and a MMSR 5, and I must say I fully agree with the OP, I like the Schecter better as well. Lighter, with a much more defined sound, fast neck and a more versatile eq.
    As a matter of fact, I've put up the MMSR for sale...

11. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This.

What Ray were you playing that was 1700 bucks? A classic?

I was there last weekend and they had a Stingray 4HH with an SLO neck, pearl guard and True Gold finish for $1500 brand new. It was really tough for me to walk out of there without it.

12. It was the Classic. The strings weren't dead and the battery wasn't dying. I've been playing way too long to not know what those things sound and feel like. It just sounded bland. It was like putting a gelding up against a stallion, if that makes sense. Maybe the HH would be more to my taste.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You tried them at GC, that was your first mistake. If the Stingray (Classic or no) was "bland" or "weak", something was definitely wrong with it. Those are about the last two words that anyone would use to describe one.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    You know you need to be a supporting member to try to sell your gear here, even passively as you have done, yes?

15. It's volume was fine. The eq worked. Pots were clean. It played nicely. Harmonics were in full effect. I would still describe it as bland and kinda weak sounding. Again, it's just my opinion.

16. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Something was wrong with the bass -- what you have described is not a healthy Stingray -- I own four of them and have had others so I speak from experience.

17. Nothing was wrong with the bass. It sounded like a Ray. Why is it hard to believe that I think the Ray is bland in comparison to the Schecter?

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, even if I think it's wrong. I still think there was likely something wrong with it. I owned a Stingray Classic and even with a flat on board EQ and a flat amp EQ, the thing had serious balls. But, hey, I'm not you. You like a cheaper bass (good for you) and there's one more Stingray out there for me to buy (good for me) so we all win.

19. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Because I've played Rays and Schecters :) Seriously, stop telling us how great it is and go buy the darn thing -- it's great when you find the right bass!

20. bass rocks

bass rocks

Nov 15, 2010
    i strongly dislike stiletoes