1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

schecter stiliti fretless, 2 batteries needed??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by darkstorm, Aug 18, 2012.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    My brother is looking at getting a schecter stilitto five string fretless he found on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schecter-St...e-/140826093154?pt=Guitar&hash=item20c9e3a662

According to the pics it has double battery holder for two batteries. Can it run on single 9 volt battery like every other emghz with 3band eq that Ive seen etc? Or is two batteries required? If yes, why? Thank you.

Btw. if single battery use requires change to battery wiring, is it easy to do?

2. Why do you want to run it at 9V?

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Every emg hz pups and active eq bass Ive owned and that friends have owned has used single 9volt battery. No reason to increase it to two batteries. Nothing about the sound with single battery was lacking.They are not active emg pups which I understand many think sound better with 18 volts. These not being those, I see no reason. Hence the question.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    You should email Schecter about it. It's their preamp and it's probably run at 18V for a reason. You may not notice a difference at 9V, especially if you only do small EQ adjustments, but it's hard to say.

Also, the 9V mod is super simple. Essentially, you have two wires coming from each battery - one for the positive terminal and one for the negative. In 18V mode, the negative of one battery is attached to the positive of the other. If you want to run it in 9V mode, just remove one battery's wiring and put the remaining lead (the one previously attached to the other battery) to the empty connection point on the preamp.

If I weren't on my phone, I could provide you with the picture.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ty Funkmetal. Ok. looking at schecters website it describes it as the 18 volt emg preamp. That would explain it well enough. I trust the average moderate to heavy player gets at least 5 months use out of battery pair. As long as doenst leave it plugged in overnight etc. Same as with most 9volt preamps for battery life?

6. Depends entirely on the current consumption. A discrete FET based preamp can draw ten times the current of a low-power opamp based preamp. Keep in mind that the current increases with supply voltage when the resistance remains constant.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Line6man. Humm. Ok so maybe need to ask what kind of battery life have others got from these two battery schecter basses, irregardless of wether the fretless or fretted version with two battery preamp. Wouldnt want brother getting bass that eats batteries esp if its 2 at a time. But I thought emg's preamps where long life for batteries. Ok, will wait and see if anyone can give info on how well the batteries have lasted in their schecters that use two. Ty

8. I wouldn't be worried about this at all. EMG's stuff usually has low-power opamps that barely draw any current. At worst, a discrete FET preamp shouldn't need more than a few milliAmps.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ty Lineman6. I'll let my brother know all looks fine. Just buy 2 durecells for his schecter bass if gets. I hope he does. Thinks is prob the nicest of the ones he was concidering.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Battery life in that EMG preamp should be about a year unless you leaver the bass plugged in al the time.

If you ran that on 9V, you certainly would hear a different when you pluck notes hard. It would sound more compressed and might even break up a little with the HZ pickups.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I use two active EMG DC's and the stock preamp in my Studio 6. When I was actively gigging, I believe I got about 9 months out of each set of batteries.

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    It is easy to eliminate one of the batteries in a reverseable fashion. Go to Radio Shack and buy a 9 V battery connector. Twist the two wires on the connector together and solder them. Cover the soldered joint with shrink wrap or electrical tape. Plug the shorted connector in place of one of the batteries. If you decide later that you like the performance on 18 V better after all just remove the shorted connector and use two batteries again. Personally I think that 18 V is worth the pain of buying two batteries once a year but to each his own.

Ken