Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Stilleto Custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JameelRS, Feb 11, 2006.

1. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    What do y'all think about this bass? I've played it a few times in Guitar Center and I'm really in love with it. So in love that I think I'm going to sell my Deluxe Active Jazz Bass 5 to get it. Has anyone had any experiences with this bass or the 5 string version?:hyper:

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i've played them. and they are definitely nice, HOWEVER, i like my ibanez sr400 better as far as tone and playability. however, look wise, the schecter wins hands down. but i'll always take tone and playabillity over looks anyday, unless i can get both simultaneously...

not that my ibanez is ugly really:

[​IMG]

just g string less, temporarily. it breaks a lot of strings :(

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I absolutely love mine.
    Best neck I've ever played on any bass, period.

I wasn't a big fan of the tone I got out of the stock electronics, so I changed them out a bit. I figured fit, finish, and feel where all perfect...sound I could change ;)

Check sig links for more info, pictures, and clips.

Great bass, no doubt about it

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i've been thinking about goin all passive on my ibanez. dropping out the eq, throwing in a p and a stacked j and then volume-blend-tone-tone-coil tapping for the j wiring

but that would probably cost me 200 bucks...

is it worth it? perhaps...

5. I've played the 4 and 5 string version of it. I liked both of them. I've played a few 5 strings and haven't found very many that I like the necks on, but the Stilleto 5 was one of the few I liked. In fact, if I weren't strapped for cash and I hadn't just bought a new rig, I would probably have one in my collection. I've played them a few times at GC and they never have a decent setup, but the ones at the local music store have had a decent setup. If it weren't for those, I don't think I could say I liked them.

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm pretty much 100% on board with the Schecter basses. I've played tons of them, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger on one yet. They fit my playing style perfectly (versitile genre fingerstyle). As far as I'm concerned, I would take almost any of these basses (Stiletto Dlx, Studio, Cst, C4/C5, etc.) over any Ibanez, Peavey, or so on of any price range. They're just IMHO the most consistant and well put together basses in their price range.

7. Toe-mas

Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    +1 from me for Schecter basses. Definately a good value. I've seen a few, a very few mind you, of the customs with a very slightly twisted neck, though certainly no worse than a MIM fender or any other bass of that price range I've seen. I'm a huge stickler for a perfect neck so I can drop my action down to my preferred super-low ultra-fast can't-play-too-angry-or-you-get-buzz setup. My Stiletto Studio is perfect for it. :)

8. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    I think the only problem with them is that they don't have an on-board mid range knob. But then again if your amp is good enough you can adjust it there instead. Does anyone know why the made the 5 string version 35" scale and left the 4 at 34"? My Deluxe 5 is definately going on e-Bay tomorrow!

9. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2718902
    Edit/Delete Message

Better tension on the B string for the 5er if it's a 35" scale.
    34" is plenty to get good tension on the E or even D. That, and making it 34" makes it better able to compete, feel-wise, with other 4 stringers.

10. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    I guesss that does make sense. Either way I'm getting one within the next 2 weeks. Pics to follow shortly after.:hyper:

11. gop_jeff

gop_jeff

Feb 18, 2006
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm looking to buy a Custom 5, when the IRS hooks me up with my money. Is there a particular brand of string that I ought to consider for it? I use Ernie Balls on my current bass (Rogue 5 string).

12. gop_jeff

gop_jeff

Feb 18, 2006
    Puyallup, WA
    Update: just bought the Custom 5 yesterday. Woot! :D

13. MrShawn2U

MrShawn2U

Mar 20, 2006
    NH
    Just bought one myself, the day after you, what do you think so far? I like it , but I have never played a 5 string much, so I gotta get used to that. I had bought Cort Curbow 5, but I returned it because apparently the bow in Curbow stands for the shape of the neck! I am thinking of putting the same kind of Bartolini set up in the Schecter as was in the Cort. The Cort had amazing sound, but the schecter is way better fit and finish, general playability is far superior. The sound isnt awful, but the Bartolini set up really was excellent. I like the look of the Schecter better also. Just my 2 cents!

14. JameelRS

JameelRS

Jan 28, 2006
    Denver, Co.
    Yeah, I'm also thinking about putting some Barts in mine. The EMG HZ's just don't do it for me. Some people would like 'em though, so I might try and sell them on e-Bay. I've also noticed that the Stilleto Custom basses are really bitchy with strings. Different strings give way different sounds. More so than on any other bass I've had. It's not bad, but you have to find what kind of string you like and leave it at that. :bassist:

15. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I bought a Stiletto Custom 3 weeks ago - LOVE it in every way. The tone is incredible - very punchy/growly with glassy top end that is never biting or harsh. Very Stingray-esque without the extraneous fret noises that Stingrays can be known for, and the neck is incredible. It definitely has more (and tighter) low end than my Stingray does. To me, it sounds very Wal(ish). It's quickly becoming my main axe. The tone is just so rock solid from lows to highs, it makes me wonder why I've spent so much cash in the past on some of the boutique basses I've had - it's a killer bass. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.