Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Stilleto Series Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 14, 2005.

1. I've been looking for a new bass around the 500-600 "midrange" price. I came across Schecter by word of mouth, and fallen in "love" with them so far. I love the way the look, and the spec list looks great. EMG-HZ w/ 3 band EQ, S-Tek bridge, neckthrough/6 bolt on, etc etc.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have had an experiance with these basses. If you have, please feel free to list the pros/cons likes, dislikes you have of these basses.

PS, if this sounds framiliar, you probably read my "MTD Kingston series" thread.

Thanks,
    Ryan.

2. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I love the way these basses sound, I plan on ordering the 6 soon. I can't really describe the sound since I haven't played one in a while, but I'd go for it.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have a Stiletto Elite 4. Its now my back up bass.

Pros:
    The tone is warm but still retains good clarity.
    The onboard electronics allow for a wide range of tones.
    The fit and finish is really good. Its not boutique good but its doesn't have the boutique price tag either.
    It holds tune really well.
    The neck is thin and is what I would call a fast neck.

Cons:
    I have had only one problem with it and that was the input jack nut kept coming loose. Easy fix though.
    I don't like the Honey Sunburst finsh. I know, thats just my opinion.
    Its a little on the heavy side for my taste.

Hope that helps.

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I came very close to purchasing a Stilleto Elite 4. In my opinion, there is not a better bass in it's price range.

5. i used to own a custom 4, it was a great sounding bass, but the neck was way to small and thin for my liking and over time it just increasingly felt wrong in my hands, so it got the boot.

6. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    Hi, i play a stiletto studio 6 since more than one year. It's really a great bass. Very polyvalent. Very goog sound (unpluged too).

7. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I own the Diamond series C4 and the Stiletto Elite 5 and I love them both for what they are. As I get better as a player I will treat myself to a more exotic instrument only as an indulgence not a requirement. Great basses for the money, I havn't had a single problem. :D

8. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Bad point: The resale value drops to half the new selling price as soon as you go home with it.

Good point: That makes a used Schecter one heck of a deal. Look for mint Elites and Customs in the $350 range.

9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I just got myself a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5, incredible snappy and throaty tone. For this price range, one of the best out there in this Owl's opinion!

[​IMG]

10. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    They sound great but I've got issues with their narrow string spacing, 16-17mm I think. :(

11. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
  12. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    There was a Schecter Stilleto 5-er at the store where I take my lessons, and it played really well. Iwas depressed for a week when someone bought it.

Fortunetly, they recently acquired a used Spector 5 string. I might be getting it as a Christmas gift. :D

13. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I have a Schecter Deluxe 4 and I love it. You can get so many tones out of it and the neck feels so good in your hands. I plan on expanding my schecter collection very soon.

14. I'd love a Custom 4 fretless in natural....but their website doesn't indicate that it is available. Dig the Exotic FMT model too.

15. I played a 4-string IDENTICAL to that one in Guitar Center, maybe 2 weeks ago. I must say, it plays absolutely stunningly. It sounds great, looks amazing (one of my favorite natural finishes I've ever seen) and the feel of that neck is nothing short of perfect. I envy you.

16. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    i bought a 5 string california custom from the twangcheif, great bass, great sound, I was an idiot and sold it. Caved to the fender sale at musiciansfriend, had to fund it. Not a better feeling or finished neck. sound was amazing.

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Very solid basses.

If you like that tone, they're great. They have a great feel to them, I must admit.