Schecter Stilletto Exotic ZW (Zebrawood)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anybody who is looking for a great, modern sounding neck through four on a budget needs to check the Schecter Exotic Stilletto ZW out! It is one smokin' bass! The only thing keeping me from trying to figure out how to get one is the fact that it is a four. It has a three band eq with Duncan Designed pickups. The fretwork is very clean and smooth. The fit and finish is great. The access to higher frets ids totally unimpeded and the neck is a wonderfully straight five piece job. The sound is modern and aggressive. With both pickups, it enters Stingray territory in terms of power (mind you, I'm a Stingray owner.)

For the price, list under $1200, street under $900, the quality of this new Schecter cannot be beat. I just cannot understand why this model does not come as a five or six?
  2. I recently tried a Stiletto 5 at the local GC and was highly impressed. Even found a couple of new and used 6ers...but didn't like the "honey" (read: orange) finish, and if I could have just a natural finish, how about a maple fb to match? Contacted Schecter who said it would be a custom order, so prices would start at $3k and go up from there depending on options.

Reason: The stock ones are imported, while ANY variation to their stock is made in their California Custom Shop. That comment spurred me to start checking out independent luthiers - for many, can get EXACTLY what I'm looking for for less $$.

Moral - if you like it and ain't got the $$$, you're playin' an orange one.
  3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely! I haven't actually had the chance to play a ZW model but I played a Schecter Elite 4 and thought it was a very nice bass.

The Exotic ZW model is hot!!
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    A Schecter Elite-4 is my main bass. I had to switch the pickups to EMG 35Js to get any decent tone, though. They were originally EMG HZs which I hate. The playability on Schecter Elites is incredible for the money. Low, fast, and smooth.

When I saw the Zebrawood one with Seymour Duncans, I really kicked myself. I wish I could just trade them for the ZW 4. The Cherry Burst is nice and deep, but I'm really wanting something with a natural wood finish, not necessarily colored so heavily.