1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Studio 4 fretless VS Warwick corvette fretless MIG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shelflife112, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Shelflife112

Shelflife112

Jun 12, 2017
    Hey guys. I bought my first bass a couple of years ago which was the schecter studio 4 fl. While I really like the bass, I don't love the tone (didn't get to play it beforehand as I ordered it online). Also I've always preferred unlined fretboard but wasn't confident enough enough to get a bass with one. I recently came across a used warwick standard made in germany and really like it. I like the tone better and it seems to be built like a tank. As I'm not much of a bass player, I can't justify owning two fretless basses and am considering selling the schecter and getting the warwick. The schecter sells for $799, whereas the warwick I'm considering is $700 in excellent condition. I thought I'd hear some opinios.

The schecter: Bass : Stiletto Studio-4 FL
    The warwick: en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Corvette--Corvette-Bubinga-Version--4-string--Pictures.html

Some of the differences I can think off the top of my head: Pros (schecter): thin neck, light, set, neck, better aesthetics IMO. 3 band active eq.
    Con (schecter): delicate wood, made in korea.

pros (warwick): made in germany, very well made, better bridge.
    cons: extremely heavy (bubinga body), thick neck.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Shelflife112

Shelflife112

Jun 12, 2017
    bump

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Sounds like you've already made your mind up as to which bass you prefer. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

I don't think there's any sense of keeping the Schecter if you don't like the tone and Warwick basses are a great choice so you can't really go wrong with what your gut is telling you. Warwick basses indeed have a terrific sound - I would say go for it but be aware that most Schecter and Warwick basses (for some reason), usually have a low resale value.

4. Personally I'd buy a used Warwick series over a new pro series it you want a fretless corvette. Because the market for fretless warwicks is relatively small you can get fantastic deals on used ones. It's not impossible to find a fretless Warwick series corvette used for $400-$500. Check eBay and reverb.com the Warwick series are higher quality than the pro series but because the pro series is still relatively new their used prices haven't come down as much yet

5. Shelflife112

Shelflife112

Jun 12, 2017
    Thank you. Could you tell me the differences between the warwick series and the pro series, and how to distinguish them?

edit: This is the info I get when I enter the serial # of the warwick at my local store:

produced:
    2008-02-21
    Description:
    Corvette Standard, 4-string
    Natural Oil finish
    Bubinga body
    Ovangkol neck
    Chrome hardware

Made in Germany

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  6. Im a bit confused because the pro series wasn't made in Germany at all until more recently so either it's a Warwick series or it wasn't made in Germany. I'd guess that it's a Warwick series bass. And you or the store was thinking pro series was the top of the line series. It's actually in the middle with rockbass being the cheapest and Warwick series being the highest production basses. And of course the custom shop is on top

7. Shelflife112

Shelflife112

Jun 12, 2017
    Looks like I posted the wrong link for the Warwick. It's a standard corvette made in Germany. Excellent condition.. Not a single scratch I can see. Do you think $650 is a good price?

8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    German Warwicks are fantastic basses that are rather under-valued on the used market. That would be a whole lot of bass for $650 imo.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  9. It's a great bass a $650 Imo Just wanted to make sure you're buying the high end one based on the year. The pro series wasnt made in Germany until I think 2015. I think they even make some rock basses in Germany now. So things have changed. Years ago when it was just Warwick and rockbass "German made" was a term that differentiated them. But now in 2017 they have moved most of their production to Germany.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020