Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter Studio 5 hiss ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I was asked to look at someone's schecter to see why it hisses. The owner did not give me much detail but first I adjusted the neck and intonation, cleaned of the cheese curl goo off of the fretboard. I believe that the bass was stored in a damp basement because of the condition of the gold hardware and the slightly green frets!! Well I cleaned it all up and then went to see about the hiss. To get the hiss you need to turn up the treble and mid pots almost all of the way up. If I move the bass closer to my computer or a flourescent lamp, it gets louder.

Now for the most interesting phenomenum!!! While the bass sits on my lap, I can hold the bass by the neck and bottom of body and rotate the bass 90 degrees. The hiss goes away. If I keep rotating it then it comes back. I looked at the preamp to see if there was anything visual that might be out of wack.

Any Ideas?????:meh: :meh:

2. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    My C5 has the same hiss with the treble turned up. I talked to Schecter about it, and they were no help. I just turned the treble down. However, I didn't try your experiment.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    to clarify the rotation portion. I hold the bass by the neck and bottom of body and the first rotation causes the pickups to be pointing towards my lap. Let me know if you get a chance to try this and what happens?

4. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Shielding problems?