Schecter Truss Rod Issues Eastern Ohio\Western PA HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChuckO, Oct 19, 2016.

1. ChuckO

ChuckO

Feb 3, 2010
    I have a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 string. It is about 10 years old now. I was feeling nostalgic so I dug it out of the closet to play.
    It has always had pretty low action to the point where I would get fret buzz on the first frets if I dug in, but now the action is high.

I check the bridge and notice the saddles are bottomed out. I watched a couple of youtube videos and reviewed my ebooks on set up before opening the truss cover.

I was horrified to find out the truss rod nut is completely rounded off. It is possible I did this unintentionally when tools were hard to come by in college. I also remember taking to a less than reputable tech who did a set up, which accomplished the opposite of what I wanted.

How should I fix this?
    Can\Should I fix it myself?
    Any reputable repair guys in western PA eastern Ohio?

Should I just get a new neck? (Any suggestions on companies that make necks to fit)

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Contact Schtecter and get a new nut and the appropriate adjusting tool sent to you. ONCE the parts arrive, get a friend to help. Losen the strings, bend the neck into a backbow and you should be able to remove the nut relatively easily. Install the new trussrod nut, set your relief and then do a setup.
    Can't help with a tech in your area. Don't get a new neck yet.

Bassist4Eris and JustForSport like this.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    And lube the threads before installing the new nut.

sissy kathy likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021