Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter vs ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bradders, Oct 22, 2003.

1. i've decided to upgrade from my starter squire bass which has served its purpose. my local music store stocks Schecter and ESP basses. i have had a play of two in my price range the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 and ESP c-305. I am still not sure on the exact sound i want from a bass but they both sound all right to me. does anyone with history with either of these two brands or basses have any suggestions which is the better buy???(or should i be looking at someting better for $1000-$1500 Aussie dollar)

thanks in advance

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ESP!

i got my F-204 about a month and a half ago and im in love with it. man, seriously they sound frikkin wicked (the EMG's are the best) good punch and growl. they look great and are built like an aussie brick ****house:)
    which means solid for all the non aussie folks

go ESP bro

3. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Of course I'll say Schecter. Excellent basses. The problem is, I don't know what their prices are in Australia. You can get them cheap in the USA.

4. Neither!

You can get a Mexican made Fender Jazz Deluxe with active electronics that will smoke either of them. I would hold out and wait and get something in a higher price range.

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I don't have much experience with Schecter, but I believe that the ESP LTD line (200's and 300's) is some of the better stuff within the price range.

Steve

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Schecter Stilettos are quite pleasing.
    Me gusta mucho.

7. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I can't say i've liked any of the more "metal" looking basses i've tried from either, but both esp and schecter produce(d)(?) some nice looking jazz basses i'd like to get ahold of. i really dig this esp, would love to find one.

8. I have the ESP B-205, which is a "lower grade" version of the 305. It was my first bass. I don't use it as much as I used to (I rarely have a need for a fiver), but it works really well, is well made, and really is an amazing deal for its price range.

"You can get a Mexican made Fender Jazz Deluxe with active electronics that will smoke either of them. I would hold out and wait and get something in a higher price range."

I don't know whether a MIM Jazz "smokes" an ESP. They're really quite different and geared toward different styles. I could easily say that my Rickenbacker 4001 or G&L L2000 could smoke the ESPs, too. But to me it's more that they're geared toward my playing style. I've heard a lot of good bassists that use ESP basses. Same with any of the other brands.

Sorry for the rant. But I'm just tired of the whole "it's better because it's Fender" arguments. I love jazz basses, too. But the guy didn't ask whether Fender Jazz basses were good. He asked whether Schecter or ESP basses were any good. (Note that this has nothing to do with pigpen02, who is actually talking about ESP basses).

9. Get the one that gives you the most for your money. I know the Schecter Stiletto Studio models come with Grover tuners, and an 18v Preamp. All for a really good price.
    Get the bass that has that "it" factor. Whatever that "it" is to you. That way it will give you more insentive to practice.

10. I agree with the schecter studio, i own the 5 string model and i love it. I dont have any experience with ESPs but it looks like out of the two models the ESP looks like the better deal with the 3 band EQ. I would try them on your amp setup and decide from there.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    IMO, the only good Schecters were the Tom Anderson era jobs.....

Look metal, and sound ass.....

I don't have a lot of experience with ESP, but I am skeptical.

Sorry......

12. oh man! with no regret you should get the schecter!
    At least in my listening, there´s no comparison, although the esp is a great bass too... But those mid-hi´s for slapping my brother, have no price! I vote for the schecter!:D

13. thanks people's

it seems 50/50 from your replies so i guess i'll just go have another bash on each one until one stands out to me

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ESP's are just crap. I used to rent an ESP, hated it, and traded it for a Schecter Stiletto Elite 4. The Schecter is much better.

15. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've played alot of ESP basses as well as Schecters and my observation is that Schecters are a notch above ESP basses. Most of the Schecters I've played sound really sweet, has great playability and has great worksmanship to boot. With ESP basses, I notice that there are always flaws, be it playability-wise or construction and worksmanship-wise but I have to admit that I've played some ESP basses that really impressed me. Try basses from both brands and decide for yourself.

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I don't know which basses you can get for $1000-$1500 Australian dollars. I've seen alot of mid-priced basses that fall into that bracket in Australia.

Basses like the Yamaha RBX760A go for about $1200AUSD there which is a really hefty price for a mid-range bass. Judging by that, I'd say that a normal mid-range Schecter and ESP bass fall into that price bracket.