1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schecter vs. Fender vs. Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MtJusticeD, Jan 16, 2012.

1. MtJusticeD

MtJusticeD

May 31, 2011
    I am looking to buy a somewhat high end bass, and based upon looks I have come down to a few choices. I would like to either get the Schecter Stilletto Studio-5, the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V, and the Sterling by Music Man Ray35 5-String bass. My local music store doesn't have any of these, so i won't be able to play them, so I am coming to my fellow bassists for guidance, and suggestions?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    They all sound vastly different from one another, so it depends on what kind of sound you're going for.

3. Bean639

Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    If you must buy blind, buy used. I've never played the scheter(I think) and like neither of the others.
    I really with I could like a stingray, but it has never felt right under my hands.

4. I would especially check out the weights for those bass guitars, might be that you don't like them...

5. MtJusticeD

MtJusticeD

May 31, 2011
    Weight isn't really a factor for me, I'm 6'2, and I'm into hard rock and I like to slap a lot too

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Find yourself a used EBMM SR5 and be happy, or better yet a G&L L2500.

:confused:

Not tone, feel, looks, etc?

7. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    If I had to pick from that list I would either go with the fender or schecter. Or as someone else said take a look at a g&l tribute l2500. It can copy a jazz bass or a stingray pretty well, it will probably not be as dark as the schecter however, but can come pretty close.

Actually, I say carrots to your list and go for the g&l l2500. Thats the best option considering your previous list.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    There's a Lakland 55-02 in the Emporium right now for $795 that will destroy all the basses you mentioned by a LOOONG shot.

9. If you're in that price range, I think you'll get the most bang for your buck out of a G&L...

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I personally would recommend the schecter stiletto studio 5-string bass. it's an awesome sounding bass and it's suitable for any genre of music. including hard rock and heavy metal.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Having owned all three of those basses along with the G&L 2500 tribute, I'd say you can't go completely wrong with any of them. They are all good basses and most anyone would welcome them in their line up. I Dont know what your music preferences or playing style is but all these basses are very different in the way they sound. Here's my experience with each one:

Schecter - nice bass, built well, good balance, emg pickups and controls give a very modern sound, liked mine but sold it for a G&L 2500 Tribute.

G&L 2500 Tribute - very nice bass, built well, very nice finish, maple neck and fb, very flexible pickup and control package, pickups are very hot and didn't go well with all my amps (clipping issues), passive tone to die for, liked but sold it for a Stingray SR5.

Stingray SR5 - very nice bass, built well, beautiful finish, pickup and control package not a flexible as the G&L but more usable tones for the type of music I play, 3 band eq is a different sound than the 2 band 'Rays I own, still have it and use it regularly but not as much as my 2 band Stingrays, time will tell if it's a keeper.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass 5 swampash - very nice bass, built well, nice finish, noiseless pickups were garbage so I replace them with Barts, preamp was garbage so I replaced it with JohnEast Deluxe, plays much better now but does not get played that often, it's taken a back seat to a much cheaper and just as good sounding/feeling/playing/looking Squier Jazz 5, the Squier is a keeper, time well tell on the MIA.

Since I don't see any real link between all these basses other than they are all top notch basses I'll throw in one more for your consideration, a Warwick Thumb BO5 - very nice bass, built well, unique wood and finish, MEC electronics are very flexible, growl to die for or buttery smooth if wanted, high potential for neck dive (mine hangs at about 3:00 so it's tolerable), nothing else I have looks or sounds like it, it's a keeper.

Of the bunch, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them except the Fender MIA Deluxe mail order new or used, a lot of hit and miss on the Fender for some reason but I understand that may have changed recently so maybe a brand new one will be better (mine's from 2005).

Hope this helps, good luck on the search.

12. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    Fender.........:bag:

13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the lakie would be a good match for the slapping as it has wider string spacing than the stingray and schecter. if thats at all an issue for the OP.

14. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I have had:

Schecter Stiletto Elite-5
    U.S. G&L L-2500
    Musicman Stingray 5 H
    Sadowsky Metro UV70-5 (arguably, a Fender Deluxe Jazz only better)

Of them all, I still have all but the Schecter.

If I were only going to keep one, it would be the G&L L-2500. But, the Stingray 5 is a very close second.

15. MtJusticeD

MtJusticeD

May 31, 2011
    i got to test out a few Warwicks, and really dig their tone and feel, but due to their expensiveness im considering getting a rockbass corvette $$ it still seems to have the sweet warwick tone but for a manageable cost

16. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    I own a ray 34 (almost the 35! ) but it still, great great great instruments, they have these awesome "in your face" tone , great for slap , fingerstyle, and picking, the only thing I could find thats a no no , its the weight... mine weights around 12 pounds...

as for fenders I've never owned one, I owned a Squier CV 60's P, and awww man I just miss it, I want to buy another one just of how good it sounded, and that's all my experience on fender-related basses

good luck