Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter vs. RockBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FTK, Jun 17, 2002.

1. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Hi all,

I am in the market for a new 5 string. I want to stay under $700. I have looked at the Schecter Stilletto Elite and the Warwick RockBass Corvette SE.

Does anyone have anything inspirational to say about either of these basses? I am even open to other brands in the same price range.

BTW, I play metal and use an SVT3-PRO/SVT-610HLF for sound.

Thanks for the input!

FTK

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Buy used. You can get a bass that is better than both of those, and stay within your price range.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, metal 5er? Look no farther than the $450ish MTD Kingston 5. Best B string under 1500, and better than some over that much. It's a great bass, and worth of the MTD title. It's got a killer slap tone, and very useable finger tones. I don't pick much, so I'm not an expert on the pick sound...hands down a really killer bass. I don't think you could do any better for under 1000 (except the 800 Lakland Skyline, which dosn't have as good a B string as the Kingston).

Plus, they look pretty darned good. This is the same model as mine, save I have a flat black pickgard....

[​IMG]

4. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Thanks iplaybass,

I am considering going used, but I keep thinking I would rather break in a 'new' bass. Luckily, I am not in a big hurry.

Whatever route I go I just want to make sure that I buy something that has a great metal sound through my rig.

That is why I am so thankful for this site! A wealth of information and most of the time I can find any information I need without making a post.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    oh, BTW, nice rig you got there FTK...that Ampeg 6x10 has a really cool sound. I'm doing something else (Eden) but that Ampeg cab was something I was really close to buying about a year ago.

What kinda metal you doing? I'm doing the Vision of Disorder (Imprint era) hardcore thing...

The Kingston works really well, it has a lot of bit to it, which helps when you're stacked against that raging wall 'o sound that Metal is famous for....

6. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Hey Brendan - Thanks for the info! Looks like a decent bass, I'll see if I can hunt one down and run it through the paces to see how it plays.

I would compare our music to something like Godsmack, and we don't have any Cookie Monster vocals. :D

I love the 610 cab!! It gets all the tone I need and it is very articulate with all the notes. I am going to be a bit curious how it handles the 5 string. I think it will do fine though.

7. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    So, does anyone have any experience or opinions about either of these basses?

8. I've *really* liked all the Schecter models I've played, and they all look GREAT too. Never played the Rockbass, and am not too fond of warwicks. To me, they have the worst B strings, and tight string spacing as well.

9. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Has anyone played the Rockbass?

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah i have. they're not that bad, actually. as long as you get one with active preamp and the gold pickups. (the corvette) the streamer standard sounds pretty wimpy IMO, but the corvette sounds like a warwick.

i don't know about that "worst b string" comment - my SS2 and thumb 5's had B's that crushed small animals, and the 5 on the rockbass is surprisingly good for an instrument of it's price.

if I were to order one from musicians friend sight unseen today, i'd go with the rockbass corvette, just because i know i like warwicks.