Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blaksmacker, Jul 20, 2005.

1. blaksmacker

blaksmacker

Jul 16, 2005
    What do you guys think about schecters?

2. ruffroka321

ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    i dont have a lot of experience playing schector basses but ive played some and they are definitly good sounding. I know that they make really good guitars. My advice is try out some of them.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I think they are one of the best bass for the money,they are very wel made and they are very versatyle basses :bassist:

4. I tried a stiletto at GC. It felt and sounded nice. I like a bigger body, so the cv-4s are cool. The stiletto is to small for me.

5. blaksmacker

blaksmacker

Jul 16, 2005
    yeah i played a couple of them...i really like the way they feel but they didnt have any with a p/j style pickup combonation...and that's what i was looking for.
    Anyone had experience with something like that?
    If so, how do they sound?

6. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I own a Stiletto Studio fretless five string. I really like it a lot.

I've been looking for a fretless five for quite a while, even playing most of the offerings at two summer NAMM shows. This is the one that I preferred, even over some of the more pricey models.
    I'm pleased with it - YMMV of course.

[​IMG]

7. I was looking at the Elite 4 for a really long time, I loved the way it played, But if you push the treble up too much on the amp it sounds horribly metallicy, it the only bass ive played theat i had to lay off the treble, Other than that They are great for the money. I would probably have one now, If i hadnt been given the offer of 600 for my Thunderbird, And I couldnt resist, I mean c'mon, Schecter Elite 4, or flawless 92' Gibby Thunderbird in Ebony. :D If I had the cash, I'd probably pick up an Elite, and maybe switch the pups to barts.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I played a Custom 4 today, and I can tell you it'll be my next bass. First time with a Schecter, and I'm sold. I've been an Ibanez guy for 2 and a half years now, and I've always loved the Schecter look. I can honestly say, I'm a convert. I need to find a Studio 6 to replace my SR506.

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I tried, and came very close to purchasing, the Stilleto Elite-4 on more than one occasion. Not too many neck-through basses with EMG pickups that you can buy for $600. Good value.

The C-4 felt pretty good to me too, and the new Stilleto Exotic model looks pretty cool. I guess you can say I like em'.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I hear their custom shop produces some very high quality instruments.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really liked the look of their 004 bass and 006 guitars. Felt pretty nice too.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    anyone try a model T ? I'm looking for a new pbass and this oen looks nice, especially since Id be most likely upgrading the pickup to a bassline anyways...

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Great for the money, but I like Yamahas better in that price range.

I have had couple of Schecters bolt-on, and while they sounded great and had good quality (especially good frretwork), they were all neck-heavy . . . try before you buy.

I also had a custom-made Jazz-type that was pretty good too.

"My cousin Hector had a Spector, then bought a Schecter . . . assembled a great bass with all the parts . . . He called it a Schector."

14. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've got a 4 string DeLeo. Bought it used for $250 and it's a great player. Finish is good, solid, tight. Some of them can be on the heavy side weight wise tho. Just have to try one that you like.

15. Considering their great reputation in the 80's for custom shop jobs, It would be expected. ESP has a good one as well.

16. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    Does ne one kno how much power is need for the stilletto 5 strings. And how long does the battery last. I have hadsome basses that last 6 months with batteries and some that last 2 days

Those stillettos look so sweet

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have a Stiletto 4 and it takes 2 9volt batteries (18V preamp). When it was my only bass I played for about 30 minutes to an hour a day and I think I replaced my batteries after a year, give or take. Obviously if you're playing 3 hour gigs every weekend plus band practice and personal practice the batteries will die faster but I think the life seems more than reasonable.

18. Make sure you unplug the bass when you're not using it. I learned this lesson the hard way.

19. I've been playing my Schecter SB1 for about 5 yrs now and I love it. Sounds good stays in tune and has good action. Looks good to especially now that it has some dings and scratches on it. There is a Schecter dealer by my house where I stop by on occasion, awhile back I checked out the new Schecter Baron and man is that sweet. It's huge and heavy (even the semi-hollow) and it plays great. I'm a fairly big guy(6'4") so I like a larger bass, looks normal on my frame. As soon as I can I will own a Baron. Just bought a new cab and ABG the wife won't understand why I need another bass. I tried the " but this is semi-hollow it's in between the solid body and the ABG" argument but no dice. Maybe "the band" will buy it for me now that playing out alot more. :bassist:

20. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I know to unplug I just had some bad experiences with ibanez sound gear and yamaha models sucking the juice right out of batteries.

I love that baron that schector makes i am currently trying to talk my little brother into getting one to replace his yamaha. the fact that it is a tele body is pretty sweet. and different from the norm (kinda like him)