Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ATGbassist, Apr 27, 2003.

1. i used to play a fender jazz bass and i got burnt out on it so i went shopping for a new one. when i frist started looking i started my search exclusively to fender's. when i was rummaging through the isles of the guitar center i found a schecter stilletto elite-4. i had never played one so i plugged it in and fell instantly in love with it. its the bass i play today and i am thinking of buying another Schecter when the time comes for another guitar. has anyone else played around with one of these guitars?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Stiletto basses are beautiful. I played a greenburst version of this one. to me it screams sex with strings. How can you not like a beast like this...:D

[​IMG]

3. There hasn't been that much talk about Schecters, but everything I've heard and read has been good. There are a few posts around here that talk about them in glowing detail.

I'd love to have a Hellcat.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I played the 006 and I wasnt all that impressed. It sounded kinda dull, and felt flimsy. But of copurse I think Riks feel flimsy!! It looked good just not for me.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have a Stiletto Elite-4 and I love it. Tone, playability and feel are awesome. However there are a few things to consider that I noticed with my bass:

1. The wiring in my bass was not the best. One of the wires had been resoldered back together and wrapped in tape, which was melting. Also the control cavity was cramped with extra length of wire that didn't need to be there, which also caused alot of noise if the wires moved.

2. Both volume pots were very staticky. The neck pot even cuts out at one point if you turn it to a certain spot.

I brought the bass to my luthier to have him replace the wiring, before we decided to go passive and put in barts :) The EMG's are nice, I just prefer bartolini. Also he noticed that the nut was alittle high and there might be like 2 high frets. But even so, the action is great. Pretty much no buzzing except for the 22 or 23rd fret on the E.

Anyway, it is a great bass. Well worth the $595 or $900 I'll have paid total by the time the work is done. I'd recommend it to anyone. Its just the electronic issues that are alittle annoying. But after having 3 basses with structural and neck issues, I'll welcome a simple electronic problem any day :)

6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I played a stiletto at Guitar Center the other day, and thought it sounded fantastic! Check around for used ones -- they depreciate like hell! You could find a great deal on one if you're patient.

7. ellexz

ellexz

Feb 23, 2003
    California
    I just love my Elite 004! I have really small hands, so my concern was being able to play it comfortably. I higly recommed it for any female bassist! :)

8. Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

I have loved it ever since I first played it. It is one amazing bass, especially for the price. 3 cheers to Schecter!

9. Click below for a real pic of mine.

10. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Gorgeous basses, can't STAND their playability and toen though.

Flimsy, floppy, and all over the place. No solid sound either, sound is dull, un colored, and just all out flat. Not a very "powerful" sounding bass.

11. You should come over here are listen to mine when I get my Ashdown 410 this friday, and then I wanna hear you say that :p .

12. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm not entirely sure how much my opinion is worth, considering I've only been playing bass for a little over 4 months now. I've played that "other" stringed thingy for a couple of years though, and would like to think that I know a good tone when I hear one.

I just sold my Schecter Stilleto Elite honeyburst. My thoughts were that it is a nice bass for the price, but the sound just wasn't there for me. As others have mentioned, it just sounded dull and lifeless compared to many other basses. I had an OLP for a while that had much more life to the sound than the Schecter. The build quality was nowhere near as nice as the Schecter, but it definitely sounded better to me. This isn't to say that the Schecter sounds bad. It actually sounds pretty good, just nothing special is all.

If you do buy one, definitely make sure you go used. I bought mine new for over $600 and ended up selling it for $330. That was the absolute highest price I could get. The highest one has gone on ebay recently was $340 (didn't sell though). You can consistently find them for around $300 on ebay (if the buyer is willing to take that much of a bath). It really sucks having the price of your bass get cut in half the moment you buy it. :(

I got a Lakland skyline 55-01 yesterday. This thing is a wayyy superior bass to the Schecter in every way. Build quality, string tension, b string (great b), electronics (sound like it to me anyway), and most importantly, the sound. The sound of the Schecter can't even come close to touching this thing. If you were going to spend the $600+ for a new Schecter, I would highly recommend taking a look at one of these first. At only $699, this thing is easily twice the bass the Schecter is IMHO.

13. I'd like you to try the old schecters and then say they sound bad!

I got an 80's schecter P-bass, it's great, VERY versital, it has P-J pickups which are great, the pickups vol knobs are Push/pull and when they're pushed in, that individual pickup is in parrallel, and when you pull it up its wired in series, so, you can get a ton of tones. you can go from P to J to stingray..and back again!, it's great, the only bad tone, is when you have the p in parrellel, and the j in series, it's the the most hollow, and thin sound you would ever hear from a bass...lol

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Schecters custom shop in the USA is very hard to get info on. You can look all over the net and not come up with much. 74 rickbass is your Schecter one they made out of replacement parts or is it a custom shop.

15. I used to own a Diamond Series Schecter Electric Guitar.... But I knew that bass guitar was for me so I went and found my old Hamer at a music store... Schecters make really nice guitars...
    I don't know anything about the basses they make but if they're anything like the guitars they make then... good luck finding a good one

16. @MAJOR

I think mine is a custom shop, cause, I got the bass from my dad (he gave it to me:) ) who bought it from a guy, who bought it new at a music store, in th 80's, he said it cost over a $1000 bucks new.

17. ellexz

ellexz

Feb 23, 2003
    California
    Hmm.. I guess I lucked out.. I purchased my bass new for $330 at Guitar Center. I got a teacher discount, and it was one of those "clear all inventory" sales. I think for the price I paid, I was very fortunate; it was versus a Yamaha NE model, and a Yamaha RBX 270 model. :) I had been playing an Ibanez, which I didn't care too much for.

18. I got mine for $350 from the head of promotions at GC.

19. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm biased. I like mine a lot. The EMG's sound great and sustain is solid. I play in a rock setting and it is perfect for what we do.

20. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    I have a Custom 5 that I bought about a month ago and I am very satisfied with it.I like the natural flame maple over mahogany.It has EMG Hz's and I think the sound is quite good.You have to remember that these Stilettos are Korean made and certainly not on a par with custom shop or other high end basses.And I know that resale value is not great on these,I don't plan on selling mine.I think that they bridge the gap quite nicely between the low-priced and the mid-priced ($1000-$1500) instruments.