Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schector Basses? Any opinions, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HazyShader, Nov 1, 2003.

1. I was in a local music shop and picked up this Schector C-Series (C-4, to be exact) bass. I really liked the feel of it, but I was wondering about reliability/longevity, and what anyone elses opinions were about Schector basses. I was also wondering how long Schector has been making guitars. The C-Series basses are made in South Korea and all the hardware and accessories are assembled in the US, so is there anything I should know about Korean made basses? I'd appreciate any kind of feedback, thanks!

2. Schector has been around since I was a youngster and I'm old!

They were know for the replacement necks in the 70's along with warmoth.

I like their basses and guitars myself.

As, always, it's how they feel to you that matters!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    I own a Schecter Studio 5, which I love and cherish. Extremely well-made and with superb sound and handling. I see no problems with it weather-wise and all that. It holds up well and I expect to own mine a long time.

As for Korean-made basses, about the only difference is price. Korean labor costs are cheaper which keeps basses affordable. Quality-wise, I find them as good and frequently better than American-made or Japanese-made. The workmanship is high quality and often more thorough (e.g. wires neatly tie-wrapped rather than stuffed out of the way in a jumble as American and Japanese basses often are).

4. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I haven't played on the new C-4/5 or Omen-4/5 basses, but I own a 2002 Custom 5. The only real nag I have about it was the factory setup. It was HORRIBLE. I had to shim the neck with three note cards to get the action to sit to my liking. Other than that, the quality is great.

5. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, Schector is made by Fender Right? And Fender products are VERY well built (in my experiance) I dont like Fender basses too much still, but Schectors are a decient bass.

6. Read Schector History

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. What!!*@#$%*#%^!????!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    If you're talking about Schecter basses, yes they're very good for the money.

9. I have a Deleo T 4 string(korean made) and I don't think I could have gotten a better bass for the money. It just screams quality, and is built like a tank. It stays in tune and to me sounds great(some don't care for the pups... I couldn't stand the strings).

I played a stiletto custom 4 before buying the deleo and came away with the same feeling- great playing well built bass.

I wouldn't worry about Korean made basses- IMHO they hold there own with just about anybody.

Have you checked the various sites around for reviews of the bass you're looking at? Hearing from someone that has played the same model will probably be a more valid assessment than anything I(or anyone who hasn't played that model) can give.

Bob

10. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Hmm, I thought that fender bought Schector.

11. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    You know, I like to go to Harmony Central and look up reviews on basses, You look at the REALLY positive ones (BEST BASS EVER, sounds perfect etc...) and the Worst Reviews (Sounds bad, cant get decient tones etc...)

Go look at the Lakland Skyline 55-01 reviews There are really good reviews and a Few really bad reviews...

The funny thing is, you could look up Pedulla and Modulus and Prolly find bad reviews and Good reviews. Ranging from (ON sound lets say) 3-10

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    How can you say no to this:

[​IMG]

I have plyed a half dozen or so, and they were really nice. Id say they are a lovley looking bass, and have the sound to go with it.

13. I love that finish.... yumm..... anyways, I've got the same one in Honeyburst satin finish or whatever.

I'd like to say it's a very nice bass. Better than the Korean made Spectors I've played. Neck through is the main difference in the schecters though, practically the same bass, mild twist on the body style and the schecter's got 5 piece laminate neck and it's neck through. The Spectors are all bolt on from my experience. (I'm talking about the korean spectors and korean made schecter stilleto elites).

Anyways, schecters rule. My bass kicks ass and dont regret buying this for my five string, however, if I only knew they made the Studio 6 string I could've saved an extra hundred and bought a 6 string. Oh well.... saving for a sixer now.

Here's mine (please add a peavey 410 to that rig now haha):

14. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    That's lovely.

Mine has the same body but with the honey satin finish which is quite pretty. And I love the gold pots and tuners.

It's silly, I guess, but sometimes I just hold it in my hands and just look at it--gaze on it. I'm talking like 15 or 20 minutes of just looking at it wondering stuff like if it will end up under glass in a museum 700 years from now. I'm definitely proud to own it. But I wonder what will become of it when I'm dead.

Maybe it will acquire a history like the Red Violin or something.

15. Dude, Schecter basses kick major arse. I have a schecter elite 4 and it is a really nice bass. There's only one problem with it--the tuning pegs that it came with are really low quality. I have broken a few already just by putting new strings on it. The gears inside just strip and one time the whole thing just broke. I have had to replace them with very similar Gotoh tuners that are also gold and are of much higher quality.

That's the only thing that bugs me about my bass (the new tuning pegs cost $18 a piece!).:eek: Otherwise, its a great bass!

Happy Playing

16. odd... mine have never broke. But they do make a wierd snapping/grinding sound when I try tuning it after the bass might have felt a 5 degree drop or more in temperature. happened when I was tuning it in my garage with my jazz group

17. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I haven't had a problem with my tuners, either. It keeps in tune very well. The only thing I've done to it (so far) is put on a brass nut. I plan to get an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp soon, and maybe some Barts.

18. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I have an old Schecter P/J bass, tele headstock, one piece flame koa P body, one piece birdseye
    maple neck (looks gorgeous!!) EMG p/j pickups,the bass sounds amazing. I've never played a Korean Schecter but the bass on the pic (posted above) looks great, no doubt!

19. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    The neck..

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Very nice, any chance we could get a closeup shot of the front of the bass.