Schector Stilletto Elite 4, any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TJBass, Feb 9, 2002.

1. I like the color, the gold hardware, the individual bridges, and I like the slap-a-bility, its a little on the brightside tonewise tho, think that would change with better strings. I can get one at GC for 559. Any thoughts?
  2. terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Great Bass. I had one. Bad price. Between 4 and 5 hundred is much better. I got mine on ebay shipped for about 315. Look there first.
  3. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    I agree, the price is alittle high but the stock finish on those basses is sick. Plus its neck thru and has some pretty powerful pickups. The neck is also very fast and very comfortable. Go for it if you like it, I only didn't because I was short on cash flow.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Real good basses even at their price IMO. I hardly ever have to check to make sure I'm in tune as it just doesn't go out. It is a very versatile bass.
  5. Bigduke

Dec 10, 2006
    I like mine alot,plays very well,stays in tune,the only drawback is it is a little on the heavy side but that isn't that big of a deal.:meh: The price is what i paid 1 month ago at GC,they ordered this for me and i was the first to play it,as far as getting them new for 4 or 5 hundred,i do not think so.
  6. Glider

Sep 13, 2006

The Elite 4 is a little heavyer as previously mentioned and its a little more (not a lot) prone to Neck dive, but the neck through construction and quality are really good, the only bad thing I can say about it is that the string spacing at the nut is a little tight meaning closeer together than I like, but if I had not bought the Peavy Grind BXP I wouldn't have noticed.

I think the price you found is not bad, I beleve I payed 599 delivered with gig bag, stand.

If strings will make it tone down I may try some too. What about effects pedals for toning down the brightmess?

Try searching here:
  7. Bigduke

Dec 10, 2006
    Glider,I was thinking about getting flatwounds.
  8. Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    I'm still a beginner and don't have any experiance with different brands of strings, only the elixers that came on the Schector and the stock Peavy strings what ever they are, but if flatwounds will tame the tone a bit I may concider changing later on, you have a brand in mind?
  9. Its really the electronics package that comes with those basses that makes them so bright.

It's also the reason why I don't own one. I hate, HATE EMG HZ. There was a guy on Harmony Central who modded his with Bart's and it sounded much, much better to me. They play great and look amazing for the price.

And I'm sure if you talk to a cool salesman, he could give you a break on the price for sure. Atleast down to maybe $500 or maybe like, have her/him throw in a case, or some strings or something with it.
  10. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I am using a Diamond Elite for both live and studio. I can't speak to slap, it isn't an approach I use. It is a very honest instrument; if your technique is sloppy, it will show. It's currently strung with DR Nickel Low Riders. FWIW, I usually run it flat (Bass and Treble at center) both pickups full up. Then use bass to control the room, usually end up rolling off a bit of bass live.

If your hands are on the small side, there are few basses as good as the Schecter Elite. If you have medium to large hands, the slim neck can be a pain after time.

I'm biased towards finding an instrument that really fits first and foremost.
  11. I'm not sure I agree with the comments about Elites being too bright. Inside the control cavity is a small box with three buttons that allows you to boost/cut treble quite a bit. The Schecter bass thread has a couple posts decribing better than I can how they work, and how to adjust them. That, combined with Rotosound 66's, allows me to get a very warm rich tone. Not bright at all. Most comments in the Schecter thread lean toward it having a wide range of tones, and I gotta agree. Of course, YMMV.

Tips the digital bathroom scale at 9.5 pounds- not bad, compared to my ash body Deleo and Maple Cruise bass.

Don't forget to shop for used ones- $300-$350 seems about right on the 'Bay(paid $300 for mine a couple of years ago).

12. Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    I know the switches are there but have yet to mess with them, any tips on whats there and which way to throw the switches?